Lost in the Woods

Elizabeth's POV:

We were taking another break as we made our way to the Dark Kingdom. 

As Nuru helped Yong set up a tent, Varian and I tried to get a fire started.

Hugo wasn't much help.

"If only i hadn't used up the last of my fire starter in that last trial" Varian said.

"I can make a spark, to start it" Yong offered.

"And risk burning down our only tent!? Or the caravan!?" Hugo said "or making a forest fire!? Do you remember what happened last time!?"

A few days ago

"What are you doing?" Varian asked as we were leaving the castle of the earth kingdom.

"We can't end a party without fireworks!" Yong set off a firework before we could stop him.

Creating a small forest fire that took about half our water supply to put out.

Present

"Right.. that..." 

"Well, i guess we're doing this the old fashioned way" i stood up "i'm gonna go look for some sticks to start a fire"

"I'll come with you" Varian said.

"Hang on just a second" Hugo said "what's the point of us being here if you two are just gonna go off on your own? I'm coming too"

"You're actually interested in helping?" Nuru asked him.

"Someone has to make sure these lovebirds aren't just sneaking off to kiss or something" he joked.

"Hugo!"

"I'm only teasing, but, the princess is right, i should be helping more, besides, are either of you trained in actual combat if we bump into danger?"

"Are you?" I asked.

"Yes, i was trained since i was five"

I rolled my eyes.

"Roll your eyes all you want, girly, but you won't be doing that if we bump into a bear or something" 

"You think you're clever, don't you?" I asked.

"I do, very much so...."

As he walked past us, i turned to Varian.

"Remind me why he's still here?" I asked.

"Ellie, he's our friend"

"since when?"

"Since he helped us with the past four trials, and he's gotten better with the attitude"

"Debatable"

"You two coming!?" he called over his shoulder.

"I think you two are just struggling to see eye to eye"

"Well, let's just go get the firewood" 

Later

"You know, you could help carry the branches" i yelled as Hugo tossed another one into the piles Varian and i had.

"We don't need three sets of arms to carry a few sticks" Hugo said.

"We honestly don't even need two for the amount we would need and yet here we are..." i said under my breath.

"Oh i'm sorry, did you say something, Elizabeth?" he asked me.

Who told him my full name?

"Don't call me Elizabeth..." i said "I go by Ellie for a reason".