13

The next morning was a morning I can never erase from my memory. I heard multiple knocks on my door. I shot out of bed because of how loud and hard the knocks were.

I squinted my eyes to look at the window and I noticed it was a bit dark outside maybe it was around dawn.

I looked at my clock that was on top of my drawer and it read 4:12 a.m. It surprised me, who would knock on my door this early?

"Jaehyun, it's me. Open the door." I heard those words through the door. I immediately recognized the voice, it was my best friend Johnny. His voice was a little gentle and calm.

I knew something was wrong. I just knew it. I tried to make up scenarios in my head saying maybe he couldn't sleep but I knew that wasn't the problem. My heart was beating fast.

I stood up and walked towards the door. I opened the door to see Johnny looking at the ground in front of him without uttering a word.

"What's wrong?" I asked him. He didn't reply he just walked in and sat on my bed.

Johnny wasn't himself. He was usually an optimistic person but at that moment he looked sad, broken and exhausted for some reason. All of these mixed emotions appeared on his face.

I met Johnny when I first got into college. At first we just talked a few times then we started to become closer and Charlotte came along.

I closed the door and walked towards him and asked again "Johnny what's wrong? You're worrying me."

He looked up at me. His eyes were filled with tears that were about to be spilled. "It's Charlotte." He barely said her name because he was stuttering.

Once he said her name I almost lost it. "What's wrong with her? What happened?" I asked immediately.

"S-She's gone." He choked on his own words. Those words hit me like a truck. I just stood there in shock.

"W-What do you mean she's gone?" I asked him, it came out like a whisper. "She hung herself." He whispered.

I dropped on the floor. I was sitting in front of Johnny on the floor. My eyes wide open in shock and the tears finally decided to spill out after the shock.

"How did this happen?" I asked quietly. "Her friend walked in and saw her hanging from the ceiling. She immediately called the ambulance but it was too late. She didn't make it."  Johnny was still crying.

I talked to her last night. Everything was fine. Well not really but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I didn't expect her to leave for good.

I felt like all of it was just a nightmare but felt real and I'll wake up any minute. I tried telling myself that it was a misunderstanding but I knew that it didn't make sense and that I was lying to myself.

Everything happened in just a couple of minutes. I felt like it wasn't true. How could she leave when I just saw her less than 12 hours before?!

I heard ruckus outside so I dragged myself towards the window and opened it. I was living in the second floor so I could hear most of the conversation.

A lot of students were scattered around the campus. I could hear them say a few sentences such as 'That's so sad.' 'I can't believe someone would do that to theirselves.' 'So tragic. She was only 20.'

This couldn't be true. It might be a misunderstanding. Maybe it was someone else but it couldn't be Charlotte. I knew her well she wouldn't do this to herself.

I sat on the floor looking out of the window as the sun was almost up. I wanted to go run to her to make sure that it wasn't her but at the same time I was scared to face the truth and didn't want to believe it so I stayed.