| chapter 2 |

The pack, bar Isaac who was currently on a plane, were gathered around Stiles' table. Their alpha had filled them in on the situation and they all dropped their activities and came straight away.

"So if Scott killed this thing, how is it back?" Liam asked. He wasn't around at the time they, battled the nogitsune, so a little more information was given to him to give him a better understanding.

Y/n glanced around the table, nobody was looking at her, they were all too focused on what their next move was going to be.

She felt responsible for all of this, after void was destroyed it was her responsibility to make absolute sure that all of his ashes were stored in the triskele box, which she kept on her bedroom table at all times.

The box.

She couldn't remember if she had noticed it there this morning when she got up to go find Stiles.

"Hey, uh, guys. It's getting late and I haven't been home all day, I think I'm gonna go to bed, call me if you find anything," she announced as she quickly got up and exited the house, leaving behind a very confused group of friends.

Y/n ran up to her bedroom as soon as she got through the front door, not bothering to pay attention to her mother's worried shouts from the kitchen.

As she entered her door she briskly walked over to her bedside table. There was her lamp, phone charger, her water bottle. No box.

"What the fuck," she muttered.

She checked all around her room, flipping over books -as if that would help- searching through drawers, in behind shelves, but it was nowhere.

"What on earth are you looking for." Y/n jumped at the voice, but when she saw her mother standing in the frame of her door she relaxed.

"Have you seen a box anywhere, it's wooden and there's a spiral type design on the lid. There would have been a black ashy substance inside of it."

Her mother looked at her, puzzled, but her memory recalled. "Yes dear, it looked awful sitting in your room and the colours were not attractive, so I turned it into a plant pot. Although I did scatter that ash stuff you're talking about around the garden, figured whatever it was would be good for the ground."

Her mother didn't think anything of it, her daughter had been protecting that box like it was her child ever since she brought it home randomly one day, but when she noticed the fear and worry in her daughters eyes, she knew that was not the case.

"Was there something special about that box sweetie?" Her mother asked calmly, trying to comfort without knowing the topic she was comforting.

Y/n tensed up, it wasn't as if she could come out and say oh yeah mom, it was the ashes of a centuries year old demon who just happens to have returned. Her mind wandered for an answer. Dirt? No. Dust? No. Ashes? Her dead hamster.

"Sort of, when Kimmie died me and dad cremated her, you know before he left, and I kept her ashes in that box," it felt wrong to lie, but she was just trying to protect her mother.

She could see the guilt written across her face in realisation of what she had done. Without a word, she left the bedroom and ran downstairs, leaving y/n confused.

She returned a few minutes later, box in hand, completely clear of any plants or soils of the sort.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart, I had no idea. Here's the box back, but I'm afraid I can't go around the garden and pick up the ash," her mother's apology was sincere, and it tugged at y/n's heart strings but she had to keep the lie.