𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝓌𝑜𝓂𝒶𝓃 𝒾𝓃 𝓅𝒾𝓃𝓀

I awoke the next morning with a grumble, already in a bad mood as I remembered the way Draco had left me last night. I was basically silent during breakfast with Draco sat opposite me, pushing my food around on my plate until it was acceptable to leave. Our friends had watched our lacking interactions since we got on the train and I could tell they were worried... Not just about me and what I had been through, but about Draco too... He really wasn't himself.

The first class for the day was defence against the dark arts class with Umbridge. This ought to be interesting, I thought as I remembered the woman in pink with the strangely sinister grin.

I was heading off to class when Snape spotted me in the hall, "Miss Avery. Your parents wished for me to inform you that your skating coach will resume with you on Saturday next", he said in his usual monotone voice, "Professor Dumbledore has also asked to see you in his office after classes today"

"Yes, sir", I nodded as he waved me on to continue to class, now slightly late. As I stepped into the class as quietly as I could I could hear the professor speaking.

"Using spells?", Umbridge laughed, "Well I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom", she replied simply.

I shook off the strange conversation she seemed to be having with the students an headed in when Umbridge turned to look at me as I headed to my table, beside Hermione and in front of Draco.

"Sorry I'm late", I said softly as I walked, watching Umbridge approaching me with a glint in her eye.

"Do you normally have an issue with tardiness, Miss Avery?", she asked in a sickly sweet voice making me freeze as I reached my table.

"No, ma'am. It won't happen again", I said, reaching out to pull my chair out and take my seat but as my hand touched it the chair zapped me making me gasp and look at Umbridge confused. I could feel a welt growing on my skin where I had touched the chair and I stared at the woman in shock.

"You may sit, when I say you may sit, Miss Avery", Umbridge smiled, all the students now silent and watching our exchange.

"Why were you late to my class?", she asked with a smirk.

I sighed, I knew there was a reason I didn't like her, "I was talking to Professor Snape. He was passing on some messages from Dumbledore and one of my tutors", I shot at her, wondering what she was going to say to that.

"Well if that was the case, Professor Snape or Professor Dumbledore should have advised me. I don't appreciate tardiness", she drawled again.

Feeling fed up and already in a bad mood, I couldn't stop my words, "Well then perhaps you should tell Professor Snape that. And as I have already told you, it won't happen again", I shot and I watched her smile drop instantly, feeling a strange satisfaction from that. I could see some of the students smirking in my peripheral as I continued to stare her right in the eye.

She watched me for a few moments and I felt as though we were in some kind of glaring competition before she smiled again.

"We shall see to it that it doesn't happen again, this afternoon, in detention... My office at 3pm", she said with a giggle, "You may sit, Miss Avery", she said gesturing to the chair.

I glared at her, neither of us moving for a moment before I finally sat down, watching her smirk and walk back up to the front of the class where the other students continued their conversation with her that I had interrupted.

"So... We're not going to use magic in this class?", Ron asked in confusion.

"You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way", she said to the class of unconvinced students.