MIDNIGHT STRIKES:

A/N- Just in case, I thought I'd clarify that if the text in italics doesn't represent a flashback, then it represents the characters talking in English rather than Japanese.

*MEANWHILE*

PROFESSOR: "Yes... The example of your work is quite impressive. It's no Mia Taylor, but it's impressive."

AKI: "Mia...Taylor?"

PROFESSOR: "Yes, to be honest it is nowhere near her level, but it's impressive."

AKI: "No, I mean, I don't know who this Mia Taylor is."

PROFESSOR: "You're kidding, right?"

AKI: "No Sir, I'm serious."

PROFESSOR: "She's only the greatest Asian-American prodigy the world has ever seen! She's a genius!"

AKI: "Eh?"

PROFESSOR: "You're from Japan, right?"

AKI: "Right."

PROFESSOR: "The Taylor family have a great reputation in both our two countries. They are a musical dynasty."

AKI: "Taylor...?"

Wait a second, that sounds familiar...

AKI: "You don't mean Taylor as in... George Taylor, do you?"

PROFESSOR: "Surely you must be joking."

AKI: "No."

PROFESSOR: "He's our number one investor. World famous tenor singer George Taylor, Mia just so happens to be his daughter."

AKI: "Geez, I can see why you love her so much..."

PROFESSOR: "Not at all. It's easy to assume that she's reached this far because she's from a famous family, but she has talents the likes of which we have never seen before."

AKI: "I can argue that you haven't seen talent like mine. I was taught by world famous pianist, Arima Kousei."

PROFESSOR: "It doesn't matter who taught you before, you listen to me now."

AKI: "Right..."

PROFESSOR: "Mia doesn't work on an amateur level, she is a hard working professional! Guess how many songs written by her do you think ranked in the Top 100 for number of plays worldwide?"

AKI: "...."

PROFESSOR: "Thirty."

AKI: "Th-Thirty?!"

PROFESSOR: "It matters not who sings a song. What truly matters is the quality of the writing. What a team of 100 people can do, Mia can do alone."

AKI: "I see... And when will I get to meet this magnificent Mia?"

PROFESSOR: "Oh, don't bet on it. She always spends her time alone in her room working on her next masterpiece."

AKI: "Quite the loner, huh?"

PROFESSOR: "Who needs friends when your talent is at that level?"

AKI: "..."

I shouldn't worry about it, Mia is probably a college student. That makes her older than me.

And as the younger musician, I have time to improve and reach her level!

...

*BACK ON THE ISLAND*