Chapter Twenty-One: Her?

That famous year went by quicker than both of them actually thought. Fiona's dream came true, she worked mostly night and day once she moved in Los Angeles and she actually did a very good job; everyone was proud of her (including Fiona herself of course). After the year went by, she came back to New York and created a new company, this brought up lots of memories with her relationship with Lana; there was not a day in which Lana didn't cross Fiona's mind, but now she had to concentrate on an important work meeting she was about to have in a few days, with a new company of New York.

§

During the same year, Lana started working again and even created her own company, she tried to keep herself busy as much as she could. There was never a day in which Fiona didn't cross her mind, especially the first months were very hard for her; she constantly missed her and her only ways of feeling better were alcohol and cigarettes.

In half of the year, she met a girl, Wendy, and started dating her; this helped her to recover from Fiona's leaving but she even started to like her. Indeed, they moved in together in Wendy's apartment just two months ago and now they were about to get married. But, apart from marriage, now Lana had to think about an important work meeting with another american company.

§

It was in the morning of that important meeting, when Lana was late.

"See you later Wendy!", Lana kissed her fiancee, before running to work.

"See you later baby!", she kept on cleaning up the kitchen as Lana was gone.

§

On the way to work, she quickly took a coffee at the bar near her house, then got there just some minutes later. All her colleagues were already there, waiting in the meeting room; she was supposed to get there before everyone, as the boss of the company, but whoops.. being late lately was one of the things she did best.

"Good morning everyone!", she looked at them. "I know I'm late, sorry about that", she said while running to her office. Her colleagues watched her and slightly laughed, some of them murmured 'as always'.

"So, is the other company already here?", she asked once she joined everyone in the meeting room.

"No, not yet", someone replied.

"At least I'm not so late", she laughed a little and started to get all the documents and the presentation ready.

"No, indeed", someone else replied.

"What do you know about this company?", Lana asked then.

A blonde girl replied from the corner of the room "Well, it's a company which has been created just a few months ago, here in New York. The boss is a woman, a mature woman, and she's very careful about her work. No one dares to mess with her actually"

"Interesting, well I'm not 'no one', so we'll see", she joked.

"I wouldn't dare to, Miss Winters, I'm pretty sure she will scare you as soon as she enters the room", a guy joked.

"Oh please", she laughed. "I don't think so. Who could it be? A woman like another", she joked.

He hesitated and then said "We'll see"

Just after a few minutes, 5 or 6 people from the other company joined them in the meeting room. Lana watched as everyone came in, until the last person (who she assumed was the boss) and suddenly became pale and shocked as she discovered the famous woman was Fiona.

'Her?', the voice in her head murmured.

She tried to remain calm, but the guy next to her noticed she was getting anxious and nervous.

"See, told you you'd get scared", he whispered while watching Fiona.

"Yeah.. seems so..", she murmured and then breathed. She had to calm down no matter if she could or not.

Fiona sat down on a chair, not too distant from Lana, put away her black sunglasses and looked in front of her, that's when she noticed Lana was standing in front of her.

'Her?', the voice in her head murmured.

She wasn't prepared to see her again, after a so long time, after all that happened between the two. How should she manage now to stay in the same room as her? For the first time after more than a year.

§

The work presentation was finished in a short time, quicker than they thought, and both were actually glad about that.

"It's been a pleasure to meet you, Miss Winters", Fiona said and shook a hand with Lana before going.

"It's been a pleasure for me as well, Miss Goode", she looked into her eyes, still holding her hand.

No one seemed to wanting to leave each other, but why was that?

Fiona regretted it when she left, once she was in Los Angeles she realized how much she had been wrong with choosing her career over the love of her life; over Lana, whom she still loved with all her heart.

Lana missed Fiona, she still missed her sometimes, but it fortunately got better. She still loved her, so much, but Fiona hurt her too much and couldn't think about being together with her anymore. And, after all, she was getting married.

"Good day", Lana was the one to let go of her hand after some silence, and immediately left the room, as she was about to break in tears. Seeing her still caused her so much pain, even though it had been more than a year since the last time.

Fiona watched her going and felt like blaming herself all the time. After a moment, she went away as well.

>