Chapter 7: First Singularity (2)

A singularity was a point of history that had been altered by the power of the Holy Grail. It was a historical period in which a person should not exist, or a certain event should not have happened. To restore the correct course of time, it was necessary to recover the Holy Grail and eliminate the cause of such distortion.

"This should be Vaucouleurs," Mashu observed the fortified citadel.

It showed clear signs of an attack. The walls surrounding it were pierced in several points. However, it was a bit strange since they were so thick that it was impossible for humans to do so. Although the use of gunpowder was already known in the fifteenth century, everything remained confined to eastern countries. Maybe the catapults were used, but there was nothing to indicate their use.

"We need to find out as much as possible, but I doubt anyone will tell us something," Yuto threw a dirty and frayed cloak at Ritsuka, "servants will remain in spiritual form." He turned to King Arthur. "Since your circumstances prevent you to become invisible, don't say who you are."

Arthur was just like his mother. He had a contract with the world just before he died. Since he was not technically dead, he could not assume a spiritual form. Yuto could only do this through constant practice.

"We are in the middle of the Hundred Years' War," Yuto said, "French people will think we are emissaries of England if they find out that you are King Arthur."

It was a logical speech, and no one doubted it. Although what they were nothing to do with this historical event, they might think that the British wanted to take advantage of the chaos to strike a decisive blow against France.

Saber nodded and released his armour, wearing the clothes that the Chaldea had given him upon his return from Fuyuki.

The interior of the city was not much better. The inhabitants were all holed up in their homes. In the street there were just soldiers. Many of them were wounded, while others even died. Both Ritsuka and Yuto clenched their fists in frustration.

The group split up and began to walk through the streets of Vaucouleurs, asking questions to the various inhabitants and soldiers. All reported the same thing, that someone who was to be dead had come to life and had begun to bring death.

[Did you find out who caused this?] Olga asked.

"Everyone refers to her as The maiden of Orleans," Mashu replied, "...Jeanne D'Arc"

Ritsuka was surprised. This didn't make much sense because Jeanne D'Arc had been burned alive almost a week ago.

"The fact that she came back to life doesn't surprise me that much. The Grail can fulfil any kind of wish or it may have been summoned directly from the Throne of Heroes," Yuto bit his lower lip, "but it is impossible that she did all this"

[Why?] Olga asked perplexed.

"Because she is a Saint," Yuto replied, "the Throne of Heroes registered her as one. For this reason she was deprived of negative emotions such as anger and hatred."

"I see," Mashu nodded, "but everyone says that Jeanne D'Arc forced the British to retreat, killed King Charles VII and threw France into chaos."

"They also said that Jeanne D'Arc occupied Orleans," Saber added, "the soldiers resisted, but it was still a one-side massacre."

All they got was bad news. The only positive note was that the citizens of Domrémy had found refuge in Vaucouleurs, at least those who had managed to save themselves.

[That's all you found?] Olga asked again.

"No, there is something else," EMIYA intervened, abandoning his spiritual form, "it seems that Jeanne D'Arc rides a black dragon"