Garden of Sinners (Prologue)

Ritsuka blinked when he realized he was not in his room in Chaldea, but in a cave, or it was more right to call it a graveyard because of the fossilized bones of dragons that were stored inside.

"It all began more than four hundred years ago. At that time, it was the tribe of dragons that ruled this world. We flew through the skies, ran to the ground, crossed the seas, thriving in peace. Everything belonged to dragons and humans were nothing more than a toy."

Ritsuka turned and instinctively stepped back when he saw the green, scalded creature. After the French Singularity, he could recognise a dragon.

A blue-haired girl was kneeling in the centre of a magic circle and a group of people were behind her. Ritsuka noticed the symbols imprinted on their skins, or armour as in the case of the scarlet-haired woman.

"However, there were some foolish dragons who did not share our rules," the dragon grimaced with contempt as he continued: "They went around talking nonsense about being able to build a world where humans and dragons lived peacefully. Eventually, a war began between the dragons who were in favour and those who were against. I fought as a member of the opposing faction."

"Then you weren't favourable..." the blonde girl muttered.

"I don't like humans unless we talk about food," the dragon smiled maliciously. "In this case, they are my favourite dish."

"Are you talking about preferences despite the state you're in?!" the pink-haired guy said, covering his smile mockingly with his hand.

Ritsuka noticed the white scarf wrapped around his neck. It was the same one that Rider Yuto had given him as a lucky charm.

"Hey! That pisses me off!" the dragon said frowning.

"So how did the war end?" Ritsuka wrinkled his eyes to see if he was not having a figment of his imagination when he saw a white cat stepping forward. The strange thing was that she could talk and even walk bipedally.

"Hostilities grew during the war. Battles tore up many lands. In the end, the pro-coexistence faction produced a stupid strategy. They involved humans in the war, giving them the magic that could destroy dragons: Dragon Slayer Magic. The strength of the Dragon Slayer was immense."

For some reason, Ritsuka couldn't help but think about Rider Yuto.

"Their victory was certain if they had not made a miscalculation. The Dragon Slayers became drunk with their power and killed dragons who wished to live peacefully with them. Even worse, their skin became scales and their teeth turned into fangs, becoming dragons in turn."

"They turned into dragons..." the blonde girl whitened her face.

"This is what happens when a Dragon Slayer overdid," the scarlet-haired girl said before lifting her head with a resolute expression. "Yet, there was an exception. The King of Dragons did not become drunk and did not even turn into a dragon!"

"Are you sure he's human? And are you sure he wasn't drunk?" the dragon questioned. "That man raised his sword against his comrades, killing them without hesitation."

The scarlet-haired woman opened and closed her mouth, unable to answer. "He indeed killed all the dragon Slayer, but only because he chose to sacrifice few to save many!"

"You seem to know him well, even though that man has been dead for 400 years," the dragon approached the armour-dressed woman.

The woman opened and closed her hand, before taking a deep breath and looking resolute. "He is..."