Chapter 9

...
Weeks had passed, no bodies had been found since and the investigation was at a standstill. On the other hand, my relationship with Mina intensified and we lived the perfect love, like young teenagers. She was often busy during the day because of her cases but at night we had a good time.

It was the 5th of July that everything had changed and that I had understood who she really was. That morning, she kissed me on the lips before showering and going to work. I was about to do the same and had gone to the bathroom when I discovered a plank that had been improperly laid down. I shot it and discovered a Beretta, the weapon used to kill the victims we found.

It only took me a few seconds to make a connection to the investigation.

I was in shock, kneeling in front of that little hole where that gun was hiding. Panicked and refusing to believe it, I decided to put it back on as if nothing had happened. I had sent a message to Dahyun and Tzuyu to warn them that I could not be with them today because of a nasty pain in my leg. It went without a hitch because I had a weakness in my right leg, due to a bullet in an old investigation in 1975.

I took the opportunity to search her entire apartment and discovered, in a box hidden behind the books in the library, my answers. When I opened it, I had collapsed to the ground with tears in my eyes. My doubts were very real. There were the torn articles of the recovered bodies. Photos of the men killed and also two others that we did not know about. Probably her two future victims.

I refused. It couldn’t be her. She was so sweet to me, she looked at me with tenderness. Her hands were doing me good and besides that, she had massacred three people.

I decided to remain silent and didn’t tell my colleagues about my findings. I wanted it out of Mina's mouth. I wanted to know her purpose, her truth, why was she doing this? Her reason?

By night, she had come home and I had done everything I could to stay natural, but Mina was much smarter than me…

...

Mina closed her front door and glanced into the silent living room. She folded her eyes and called Chaeyoung.

"In the bathroom!"

Fed up, Chaeyoung tried to stop the bleeding from his hand. When he had analyzed the weapon more closely, surrounded by a cloth to avoid the deposit of fingerprints, he had violently cut himself. A small piece of sharp wood on the floor had scratched the whole side of his hand.

He stood up when the young lawyer knocked on the door.

"You okay?” She asked the other side.

"Yes, I just hurt myself."

Mina pushed gently and passed her head through the small opening of the door.

"Can I see?"

The young lieutenant turned to her with his hand outstretched. Mina remained silent and looked for her little wardrobe. She pulled out a box with bandages and other products to heal the wounds.

"How did you do that?" She asked without looking up at him.

"It’s stupid, but when I cut my apple," the younger lied.

"It’s stupid, yes," she smiles while buffering the blood before disinfecting.

She bandaged his hand and put the box away.

"Thank you," murmured Chae as he kissed her.

...

She answered me with a cold kiss. Did she understand? She left quietly in the kitchen. For my part, I went to her library to rest a novel that I had read. It was there that I felt something hit my neck without delicacy.

...

"Did your day go well?" Asked Chaeng, raising his hand to the third shelf to deposit the novel.

"Yes, and you? Your leg?"

"Annoying, I would have liked to work on the investigation. And… I took pills for my leg."

"Oh."

The younger slipped his hand on another novel that he wanted to read when something hit his neck. Mina quickly dropped the bottle and caught up with him in his fall before tightening it against her.

"I’m sorry… So sorry… " Mina kept mumbling while squeezing the younger's unconscious body. "You were my only mistake."

Laying the lieutenant on the ground, she took out the kitchen knife which she had discreetly taken and sat down on his thighs. Holding him with both hands, pointing down, she lifted him up. His face was so innocent. He had done nothing but love her.

Aim for the heart.

Mina trembled and changed her tactics. She laid the blade near his throat and began cutting before freezing in fear. Flashes came back to her, striking her in the heart. She remembered when she let her lips slide his throat with tenderness.

I can’t do it.

She screamed with rage as she threw the knife across the room before taking her face into her hands.

You were the only fucking mistake I ever made!