★ chapter 24

So, you guys asked for a valentine's day chapter but unfortunately the next chapter in line that I had prewritten was a filler of some sorts, so it's not angsty at all or anything like that. It literally just-

Wait, I can't tell you. That would spoil this chapter.

Enjoy it, I guess, but it's not that great. Honestly, the chapter after this I believe has a lot of angst so you'll just have to wait for that I guess lol. Enjoy!

Love,
Mei

"I thought I'd never see you again," Yuri admitted. "What are you doing in my hometown?"

"I didn't know this was your hometown. I came to live with my cousin," Ichika explained. She shifted awkwardly in place before her face lit up. "I will be right back!" Her figure rushed behind the counter.

"Who was she?" Natsuki asked.

Yuri smiled thoughtfully. "She was my best friend when I moved to Monika's school. She was always by my side." She laughed fondly. "I remember just the two of us walking down the hall would provoke stares and whispers. I wonder why."

"Oh." Natsuki slumped in her seat just slightly. This shouldn't affect her. After all, she and Yuri had lost contact in that time. It was only natural for her to find a new friend. But she couldn't help the bubbling feeling rising from her stomach. Was it jealousy? It couldn't be. She had found Sayori and become best friends with her. She had done the same thing Yuri had. 

So why did she feel so uneasy? Was it something about this girl?

As if on cue, Ichika returned with a small slice of cheesecake with one little candle stuck into the creamy cake. The plate clinked against the table as she set it down, pulling a matchbox from her pocket. The orange glow warmed Yuri's soul as the wick caught flame. 

"Ichika, you didn't have to!"

"Come on, Yuri, I'm not gonna be a bad friend and forget your birthday!" Ichika grinned. "Speaking of friends," she said, sitting next to Natsuki. "Who are you? Are you Yuri's girlfriend?"

Natsuki felt that heat return, but she forced herself to carefully choose her words. She frowned, disappointed she couldn't think of anything to say besides a simple, "No, I'm not."

"Still not interested in people?" Ichika asked Yuri, chuckling. She turned to face Natsuki and bowed. "I'm Yamamoto Ichika. It's nice to meet you!" 

Natsuki nodded. "Nice to meet you, too. I'm Nakamura Natsuki." 

Ichika smiled a friendly smile. She looked up and glanced at the clock on the wall. "Well, I suppose I better clock out. My shift ends in a minute." She placed her hand atop Yuri's hand, lingering for just a friendly second. "We should meet up sometime. I haven't seen you since you moved." She stood and flashed Natsuki a warm smile before disappearing again. 

"I'll have the kukicha, please," Yuri said to the server waiting on tables. "Natsuki?"

The smaller girl suddenly became aware of her surroundings. "Oh, uh, I'll have hot chocolate."

"It'll be right out," the server said with a polite bow.

_

_

"Oh," Monika mumbled, staring at her phone. "Natsuki just texted and asked if I knew someone named Yamamoto Ichika. Seems they met at the café they're at."

"Who?"

"She was the second person to dethrone me."

"Yuri!" Monika whined. "I don't want to study anymore. I'm so tired!"

"Okay, okay," Yuri said with a bright smile. "We will stop here."

Monika's eyes shined under the glow of the lights above them. "I'm so happy!"

"Why?" Yuri asked, her lips forming an O.

"Well," Monika started, her face forming a thoughtful expression. "I have a sister that I like, we had my favorite food for dinner, and we don't have to study for finals anymore."

Yuri grinned. It was so much better when Monika liked her. "We should go to sleep, so we don't fall asleep during the test."

"Can I sleep in here tonight? Maybe your smartness will rub off on me," Monika exclaimed, holding on the Yuri's arm.

Yuri frowned. She liked having her own space, but it didn't seem so bad if Monika stayed. "Fine, but you can't cling on to my arm the whole night."

Monika pouted. "Fine, fine."

_

_

Once again, a simple piece of paper had gathered quite a crowd. Monika had her fingers crossed. After all, she had been shooting for second this time. As long as it was Yuri who had gotten first, she didn't mind being second at all. Not anymore.

Second Semester Finals
Top Scoring First Years
1. (Class A) Tanaka Yuri
2. (Class A) Yamamoto Ichika
3. (Class A) Tanaka Monika
4. (Class C) Kimura Sato
5. (Class C) Ishida Chinami

"What?" Monika yelled. Eyes turned to stare at the rude girl who had yelled. "Sorry..."

"Don't worry, Tanaka-san, I'm sure it was just luck!" The girl called Yamamoto Ichika placed her hand on Monika's shoulder. "Better luck next year!" Her smile had no hint of smugness or any of the sorts. She was being genuinely friendly, which only annoyed Monika more. 

"Congratulations, Yamamoto-san," Yuri said politely. The purple haired girl made her way to Monika, putting an arm around her step-sister. Yuri hadn't seemed to notice, but Monika sure did. Yamamoto-san had her eyes glued to Yuri.

"Oh, so you mean she knocked you out of second place?" Sayori asked, messing with a long purple ribbon. "Did you get it back?"

"No," Monika said. Her green eyes found the floor as she refused to look up. "I didn't. She always annoyed me for some reason. But she was always close to Yuri after that day. Maybe now that I'm not," she cleared her throat, not wanting to say the words. "Now that I don't feel like that towards Yuri anymore, I'll invite her to the party."

"Okay," Sayori answered, her voice distant.

Monika's eyes landed on Sayori. "Sayo-" The strawberry blonde pouted, the long purple ribbon hanging off her arm. It had tangled its way around her body, leaving her stuck.

_

_

"Tanaka-san," a voice said from behind Yuri.

"Huh?" Yuri said, turning around. "Oh, Yamamoto-san, is it?"

"Right. I wanted to come introduce myself," Ichika said, her feet shifting nervously. She didn't quite know why she so badly wanted to be close to Yuri, but she didn't mind the feeling. She found it quite interesting how her heart rate would increase and her face would become warm. She didn't want to give up on that feeling. "I'm Yamamoto Ichika."

"My name is Tanaka Yuri," Yuri replied thoughtfully. It's weird how someone as posh as Yamamoto-san would come and talk to me, she thought. After all, she didn't think anybody at this school would notice her at all if it weren't for her grades. Maybe her grades were the only reason that Ichika even introduced herself in the first place.

Ichika smiled, tilting her head to the side a bit. Her black hair fell over one shoulder, cascading down her side. "Do you want to walk out of here together?"

Yuri thought for a moment. Monika and her friends were hanging out at one of Monika's friend's house. This meant Yuri didn't have anything in particular to do. "Sure," she answered. She offered a striking smile before saying, "Yamamoto-san."