★ chapter 7

"Hey, Natsuki," Yuri said, approaching the smaller girl on the rooftop. Once again, she was eating alone. Nobody was brave enough to face Monika's wrath. But her sister wasn't afraid of her. At least not anymore.

"Oh," Natsuki mumbled. "Hey, Yuri."

Yuri looked away for a second, twirling her hair in her fingers. "We used up the last egg this morning, and Yuki asked me to go shopping after school. Do you want to accompany me?"

Natsuki grinned. "No! Um.. I mean yes! No, yeah, I would like to go with you."

Yuri tucked a piece of hair behind Natsuki's ear and giggled. "You're pretty funny, you know?"

"Thanks..." Natsuki said as Yuri turned away and began walking towards some of her friends. She grinned to herself. At least she had something to look forward too.

Being the social outcast had its ups and downs. She felt lonely every single day, but at least the teachers felt sorry for her. At least she didn't have to share her food.

She sighed. Finding reasons to enjoy her lonely life felt lame. She felt stupid. She glanced over at a group of girls laughing and talking. Her eyes moved to the quiet kids who read books together. They didn't talk much, but at least they were together.

She found herself longing for a companion. Sayori was the only person in school who would hang out with her, but she was sick today. This left Natsuki wondering if this was going to be the rest of high school.

_

_

As the last bell rang, Natsuki jumped up from her seat, excited to get out of here. "M-Monika?" Natsuki squeaked, taking a step back.

"Did I not mention she was coming too?" Yuri asked.

"No, you didn't," Natsuki replied quietly.

"Sorry, Natsuki. Yuki asked us both. I had figured you wouldn't want to be alone at home while we're gone and our parents are at work," Yuri explained.

Natsuki nodded slowly. "Uh, yeah... I get it..."

"I call shotgun," Monika suddenly said, making her way up to the passenger side.

"Looks like I'm in the back," Natsuki grumbled. She pulled out her phone to see an unread message from her father.

~
Papa:
Hyy wgats uppp@+2(#(?
~

Natsuki rolled her eyes. It looked like Papa had found something to drink. The car started with a hearty growl, the keys jingling in the ignition. Natsuki did her best to suppress the worried sensation in her stomach.

Monika's hand rested on Yuri's thigh as they laughed and joked around. Monika's icy green eyes stole glances at Natsuki, filled with bitter resentment.

This was going to be a long trip.

_

_

"Do we need these?" Natsuki asked, pointing at eggs.

"Yes," Yuri replied, checking the expiration date of a milk carton. "Yuki loves eggs."

"Hey, Yuri," Monika said, coming up behind Yuri. "I think I saw your ex boyfriend with another girl. Do you wanna hold my hand and pretend we're dating?"

"He knows you're my stepsister, Monika," Yuri sighed. "That would never work."

"Okay, I got these eggs," Natsuki said, walking up to the cart, unaware of the conversation that had just taken place.

"Natsuki, hold my hand," Yuri said suddenly.

"What? Why?" Natsuki asked, setting the eggs down and tentatively reaching and holding Yuri's hand.