★ chapter 1

Tears ran down Natsuki's cheeks as she stared down at the writing on her desk.

She shouldn't be crying. It was weak. They were just marks made by permanent marker.

But they left a permanent mark on her heart.

Things were getting out of hand. The bullying never stopped. She wasn't safe at home, and school was no longer a safe place.

Aoi had been one of her closest friends, but when Monika found out, people began to bully Aoi, too.

"Aoi, please," Natsuki begged. "You are one of the only people I have."

"Look, I'm sorry. I can't be a victim of this," Aoi confessed.

"What are you doing with her?" a voice snarled from behind them.

The two jumped and turned around. Monika stood there with a few friends, hands on her hips.

"She keeps cornering me, I swear I'm not associated with her," Aoi quipped. She turned to Natsuki and stared straight into her eyes. "Stop trying to talk to me! I hate you, Natsuki!"

The pink haired girl's eyes filled with tears. "Aoi..."

With that, Aoi brushed past her, hitting her shoulder. She took one last glance at her former friend before joining Monika and her friends.

The group of girls parted to allow Monika to walk through. Soon after, they followed. They were gone, and Natsuki was alone.

The bell rang, and Natsuki broke into a run. She was going to finish the day strong. She promised herself that she'd stay strong. Her last class of the day was an elective. It shouldn't be too hard, right?

"-With that said, my wife left me. She was sick of me constantly beating her. She worried about the baby in her womb. She voiced her concerns, yet I never listened. She deserved the pain."

Yuri had finished reading the English paragraph. "Well, first of all," she said, returning to Japanese. "I think this guy is a big jerk."

The teacher rolled her eyes. "Translate it," she snapped, losing her patience.

The entire class tried to hold in their giggles. Yuri laughed softly before translating the sentence. Her soft voice was like vanilla buttercream. For anyone else, a voice like that would sound unnatural or forced. Natsuki smiled to herself. Yuri didn't seem like she was forcing it at all. There was something about her. Something that seemed so familiar, yet she couldn't grasp it.

Natsuki's stomach tied in knots, and her heart began to beat faster. Something was happening to her, and she didn't know what.

Yuri sat down, and looked around the class. For a split second, her eyes locked with Natsuki's. Memories hit the pink haired girl like a bat. Before she knew it, her mind wandered from the classroom setting. Her mind had escaped to another place and time, dragging her along with it recklessly.

"Yuri, I love you," Natsuki said, grabbing onto her friend's arm.

"I love you too, as a friend, right?" Yuri looked hesitant.

"Yeah, what other kinds of love can we have anyway?" Natsuki asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"I don't know. Maybe like sisters," Yuri suggested.

"Maybe. But I wouldn't want you to be my sister," Natsuki said.

"Why not?" Yuri asked, hurt.

"Because you're way too special for me to fight with you. I heard that sisters fight a lot," Natsuki said, pulling the smaller girl into a big hug.

"What about like a mommy and daddy?" Yuri asked.

"You mean if we kissed and stuff?" Natsuki asked.

"Yeah, like that," Yuri said.

"But we're girls. Only boys and girls can kiss each other," Natsuki explained.

Yuri thought for a second before sitting back in her seat. "Oh. But my aunt and aunt kiss all the time."

"They do?" Natsuki asked, slightly disgusted. "How are they in love?"

"What if love doesn't stop if you're a girl or boy?" Yuri suggested.

"It's hard to believe," Natsuki sighed.

Yuri pursed her lips. "Maybe you're right," she surrendered.

"Girls!" Natsuki's dad shouted. "Come open your presents!"

Natsuki squealed. "C'mon, Yuri! Santa brought us a bunch of presents!" She held out her hand for Yuri to take.

Yuri giggled and clasped their hands together. They ran through the door together and sat down at the tree to open their gifts.

_

_

Natsuki wasn't satisfied with what she got. Something was missing.

Yuri was incredibly thankful for what she'd received, and made sure that the parents knew that. She hugged each and every one of them in gratitude.

Natsuki sat down to play with her new dolls while Yuri sat down to read a new book she'd received. It was her first English book. Cinderella.

The adults disappeared into the kitchen to have eggnog and talk about boring adult stuff.

"Yuri, do you wanna build a snowman?" Natsuki asked.

"Sure," Yuri said, closing her book.

The two began to walk to the door, side by side before Yuri stopped abruptly. "Natsuki."

"Yeah?" the pink haired girl asked, turning around.

"There's mistletoe," Yuri said.

"Miss Ell Toe?" Natsuki asked, tilting her head.

"No, mistletoe. When two people stand under it, they have to kiss," Yuri explained. "It's a rule."

Natsuki thought for a second. Mommy and Daddy had always taught her to obey the rules, so she shrugged and agreed.

Yuri tentatively pulled her scarf from her mouth, Natsuki doing the same. Yuri stood on her toes to reach Natsuki's lips, as the girl was quite a bit taller than her.

The two locked lips and Natsuki opened her eyes wide. That was what was missing. It wasn't a solid gift that she longed for. This was what filled her heart with joy.

At that moment, she knew that girls could love girls.

Because she loved Yuri.

"No," Natsuki whispered. "It can't be..."

"Yuri!"

Monika had appeared at the door. Natsuki hadn't even noticed the bell ring.

Monika's piercing green eyes met pink before emitting the nastiest glare imaginable. Monika grabbed Yuri's hand and pulled her from the room. A flash of purple danced across Natsuki's vision.

Yuri.

OMG THIS LITERALLY TOOK FOREVER BUT HEYYY!

Vote and comment for another chapter! If this book blows up, too, I may continue.

more than the past ➶ natsuri [ddlc]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें