★ prologue

"Yuri, I think I'm going to die," Natsuki squealed.

"You're not going to die, silly!" Yuri said, tapping the pink haired girl's nose.

Natsuki stared at her with big, pink eyes, filled with fear.

"You'll be okay as long as I'm here. I will protect you," Yuri said, putting her hand atop Natsuki's small knee.

It felt as if time stopped.

"I don't feel scared when I'm with you, Yuri," Natsuki said.

Natsuki jolted as the rollercoaster began to go even faster. She screamed loudly as they went down. Yuri giggled at her friend.

As the two got off, Natsuki clutched her stomach. "I think I'm gonna be sick!"

Yuri held onto her shoulders firmly to keep her on her feet. "Don't fall!"

"Papa, I have to throw up!" Natsuki squealed.

"Okay, baby girl. Go to the bathroom with Yuri, okay? I'm not allowed in there."

Natsuki nodded. Yuri began to lead her to the bathroom. "Yuri, I feel like death."

Yuri laughed. It was a sweet, happy sound. It felt like music to Natsuki's little ears.

Immediately, the urge to vomit left the pink haired girl. She stared at Yuri as she began to fix her hair up. "That roller coaster messed my hair up," Yuri whined.

Natsuki ran over to her and stood beside her. She peered at the mirror. "Yuri, I think you've gotten shorter!" Natsuki gasped.

Natsuki had always been the taller of the two. Yuri was her little short pancake.

"One day, I'm gonna be taller than you," Yuri concluded.

"That's not possible," Natsuki inquired.

"I'll make it possible!"

"Whatever you say, shortcake," Natsuki giggled.

"Hey!"

The two ran from the bathroom, giggling loudly. "Papa, save me! Yuri's tryina get me!" Natsuki squealed.

"She's teasing me because I'm shorter!" Yuri argued.

Yuri's father stared at Natsuki's papa before the two burst out laughing. "Our girls are such good friends. I hope they stay that way," Yuri's father said

"Me too," Natsuki's papa agreed.

"Yuri, let's go ride another roller coaster!" Natsuki said.

"But what if you get sick?" Yuri asked.

Natsuki brushed the question away. "I'll be fine," she concluded.

Moments later, they were on another roller coaster, getting strapped in. The coaster began to move, going up at a stable speed. Then, it began to speed up.

Natsuki jolted awake. Her entire body shivered with cold sweat. She hadn't had a dream like that in forever. The girl with purple hair. She barely remembered this mystery girl, but the girl occupied each of her thoughts.

Like a bolt of lightning, memories hit the small girl. She had wondered why she and the purple haired girl were not friends any more. She had wondered how she had managed to lose such an amazing friend.

"Yuri," Natsuki said, holding out her hand. "Are you okay?" 

Yuri was in the tree that connected their bedroom windows, crying. "M-My mother and father. They won't stop yelling."