Chapter fifty-five: Chicken bones

To pass the time, Iseul counted.

Her wrists were red, and her skin irritated after trying for what seemed like hours to free herself from the chains tying her down.
Iseul was pretty sure she was bleeding, too.
The heavy metal rubbed against her wounds, making her wince in pain.

It had been exactly an hour and forty-seven minutes before Park opened the door facing her again. A food tray in one hand, he used the other to close the greyish door behind him.

Without a word, he put the tray at Iseul's feet, and without sparing her a glance, grabbed a chair in a dark corner of the room. He placed it so he could face her, and seated himself backwards, his forearms crossed on the back of the chair.

"You've calmed down," he noted.

No matter how hard Iseul wanted to look down to avoid meeting his vicious gaze, she couldn't bring herself to. She wouldn't lower her eyes in front of him.

As if he knew what she was thinking, Park smirked.

"How are your wrists?" he taunted, tilting his head to the side.

"How are your fingers?" Iseul retorted.

Park glared at her and clenched his fists, covered in bandages. Iseul must have bitten his hand hard; she could see spots of red staining the white gauze. Good, she thought.

"Are you not hungry?" Park asked after a while of observing her in silence.

Iseul hadn't touched the food.

She didn't reply and simply stared at him.
She had so many questions.

He raised a brow, "Do I have something on my face?"

"You were dead," was all Iseul replied.

The remark made him smile. "You thought I was," he corrected.

Judging by the curious look now sparkling in his eyes, he must have been waiting to get to this conversation.

Iseul frowned, "But Taeyong told me-"

"Ah," Park cut her off, "Taeyong says a lot of things, that doesn't make them true. That's what I've been trying to tell you."

Iseul stared at him.

"Taeyong can't be trusted, Iseul. You should know that by now."

"That's not true."

The words had left her lips before she could even think.

"Yes, it is. I must admit it's quite cute that you still think that he's different, when really, he's not. You might think he has changed, but he hasn't," his voice turned low, "Taeyong, whether you like it or not, is a gang leader and a criminal. You convinced yourself that he was good, but you have no idea who he really is. You've never seen him in action, have you?"

Park's words were poisonous, and Iseul felt sick in her stomach. She didn't want to listen to him.

"You don't know what you're talking about," she spat.

He raised his brows and grinned, "Don't I?"

"Because, last time I checked, I was part of the mafia world too, and you were just a law student. Quite ironic, by the way, don't you think? As someone who is bound to put criminals behind bars in the future, you're sleeping with one."

"Shut up."

Iseul tried to cover her ears, but the length of the chains was too short, and her movements were limited. Park laughed at her attempt.