Chapter thrity-nine: Ambushed

The first thing that Taeil noticed when he walked in Taeyong's office was the strong smell of alcohol and smoke that filled the air.
It took him by surprise, viciously attacking his lungs.

The loud cough made Taeyong look up from his desk, a cigarette trapped between his lips. He didn't utter a word but raised an eyebrow questioningly to encourage Taeil to speak.

"S-Sorry to bother," he clumsily stuttered, "but I figured you'd like to know that I saw Jaemin and Iseul get out of the house."

At the mention of the two names, Taeyong straightened up and let out a puff of smoke.

"What?"

"I was looking at the cameras, trying to find an explanation to what happened when I saw them leave the house."

"When was this?"

"I don't know..." Taeil took a second to think, "Like, fifteen minutes ago, maybe?"

Taeyong let out a groan and stubbed out what was left of his cigarette.

"Why didn't you come to me right away?"

There was no disapproval in Taeyong's voice, only weariness.

"I didn't think I needed to come to you every time someone came out the front door," Taeil truthfully explained.

"Then why tell me now?"

"Because I'm pretty sure I saw Kun following them just a minute ago."

Taeyong frowned so hard that small wrinkles appeared on his forehead, making him appear much older than he really was.

"Are you sure Kun's following them?"

Taeil nodded severely, "I may have tracked his phone..."

"You tracked him? Why?"

Taeil put a hand on his nape, "There's a high chance that one of us is a mole, Taeyong," he gravely said. "I just want to find out who it is."

Taeyong nodded, getting up. "Alright, thank you."

"Is there anything you want me to do?"

The leader shook his head, "No, not at the moment. Where are the others?"

"Dream minus Jaemin went to see a movie I think, and the rest are doing their own thing." 

"Good."

Taeil took it as a sign to leave and turned around to walk out the door.

"Hyung?"

He turned around at Taeyong's voice.

"Yes?"

"Are you sure that the video was modified from the inside?"

Taeil let out a sigh. Just like Taeyong, he had hoped he was wrong. That somehow, someone had been smarter than him and had managed to go through all his firewalls. But Taeil was sure of himself, he had checked so many times, he couldn't be wrong. As much as he wanted to be, as much as he hated the thought of having one of them betray their family, Taeil knew that he was right.

"I'm sure," he somberly replied.

Taeyong didn't reply to that, probably trying to convince himself that this wasn't real.

"Send me their location, will you?"

Taeil nodded. As soon as he was gone, Taeyong grabbed his phone, dialing Iseul's number. When it went straight to voicemail, he felt a knot in his stomach, his mouth dry. He then tried to call Jaemin, without much luck either.