Chapter thirty-three: Ready, Set, Go

"What should I begin with?" Iseul asked, eager to start her training as a new member of NCT. "Fighting practice? Tactics? General knowledge?"

Taeyong chuckled at her excited behavior, patting her head gently, "Slow down for a second, will you? First, we have to evaluate you."

"Evaluate me?" she repeated, pouting.

"Yes, evaluate you. We have to know precisely what you're capable of, what your strengths are, as well as your weaknesses. We have to know every single thing about you, then we'll see in which unit to put you in, and see how you do from here," Taeyong patiently explained.

"But we already did that before! You know, when you made me practice with Winwin and Mark and the others? Jaemin said I did pretty well! Especially against Mark."

"And I'm sure he was right," the leader agreed. "But 'pretty good' isn't enough. You have to be perfect. You won't be allowed any mistake on the field, if you ever have to go out there."

"What do you mean "if"?" Iseul said, disappointment filling her voice.

"I meant what I said. Who's to say you'll end up on the field team? Maybe you'll stay here with Taeil-hyung and Yangyang."

Iseul couldn't help but scoff in response. She was aware that she was acting like a child being refused a candy, but she really felt disappointed.

"That's nonsense," she argued. "You and I both know my place is on the field, fighting. Nowhere else."

"No," Taeyong disagreed. "I, as a matter of fact, don't know that."

"That's because you never saw me fight properly. Well, except for when I kicked your ass," she smirked playfully, patting him on the shoulder.

Taeyong suddenly grabbed her wrist, taking her by surprise, and flipped it over to pull her close to his body. That way she was perfectly secured against his chest, unable to move.

"We don't speak of that," he growled in her ear. "Ever again."

Iseul gulped and nodded, the words she meant to say stuck in the back of her throat. Taeyong freed her and kept walking as if nothing happened, leaving the girl dumfounded in the hallway. She ran to catch up with him, walking faster to match his pace.

"So," she spoke again, admitting defeat, "when do I get my evaluation?"

"Right now."

"Wait, what?" Iseul exclaimed. "B-But-"

"But what?" Taeyong asked, turning around to face her.

"I'm not ready!"

Taeyong raised his eyebrows, "Oh, you're not ready, you say?"

"I-I... you're taking me by surprise..." Iseul mumbled.

"And how exactly do you think your opponents are gonna come at you on the field?" he asked. "By yelling 'Careful, I'm coming!'?"

Iseul scoffed, crossing her arms on her chest, "Well, when you say it like that..."

"So? Do you want this or not?"

Iseul stood straight and raised her chin, like she had seen her mother do every time she was preparing for a meeting.

"Yes."

The shadow of a proud smirk appeared on Taeyong's face, but it only lasted a second, and Iseul wondered if her eyes were tricking her.

"Go change," he instructed her. "You have three minutes, I'll go get the boys."