Chapter eleven: None knows the weight of another's burden

Taeyong clenched his fists, grabbing the leather jacket that was on his chair before almost pushing the taller man out of the way. He left his office without another word, leaving a confused Johnny behind.

"Hey, hyung," Doyoung spoke from the corridor when he noticed Johnny standing in the empty room, "what happened?"

Johnny detached his gaze from the wall in front of him to look at him.

"I'm worried about Taeyong," he admitted as he ran a hand through his hair with an upset look on his face.

Doyoung let out a sigh, leaning on the doorframe.

"Yeah, so am I..."

"I thought he was getting better."

"We all did. Looks like we were wrong."

Johnny bit his lower lip, "I think he has a problem..."

"Oh, are you talking about Taeyong-hyung?" Haechan asked as he appeared out of nowhere, standing right behind Doyoung. "Because if so, he has plenty. But nice of you to finally notice."

Doyoung turned around and smacked him behind the head as he let out a groan.

"Shut up, Donghyuck. This isn't funny," he snapped.

"Yes, I'm aware. But since when is he an amusing guy, anyway?"

Doyoung was about to hit the poor boy again, only to be held back by Johnny.

"Hyuck, enough with the salty comments."

"Where is Taeyong-hyung, by the way? I came here to find him but only you were there," Doyoung spoke, looking at Johnny.

"I don't know," he replied, his tone expressing his concern. "I have no idea where he went, but I think he's going after Iseul."

"Iseul? But isn't she out with Chaewon under Ten's protection?" Donghyuck asked.

"Yes, she is. But Taeyong is chasing a ghost, and I don't think it's going to end up well..."

"Chasing a ghost?" Doyoung repeated, confusion spreading on his face.

"Taeyong thinks Iseul is in danger- "

"She's in danger?" Haechan widened his eyes, worried.

"No. At least I don't think so. The thing is, Taeyong does, and he thinks that she's threatened by no other than Park himself."

"Park? But, the man's dead, what is he talking about?"

"I know," Johnny sighed. "That's why I'm worried about him. He's chasing a ghost, seeing danger where there isn't any, and worst of all, ruining the only chance he might have with Iseul with his stupid behavior."

"Yeah, they'd look good together," Donghyuck admitted, completely ignoring the rest of the sentence. "Even though I still think she deserves someone who'd treat her better than hyung... That man has a temper..."

This time, it was Johnny who smacked him, and he let out a yelp of pain.

"I was talking about the fact that she's good for him, you idiot. She helped him open up and I believe she could do so much more than that if he just let her. But instead, he's focusing on his own demons, and I fear that if we don't help him get rid of them, he'll ruin everything he has a chance for."

"Which is...?"

"Which is a better life, dumbass. Where he doesn't have to worry about his past demons ruining his happiness." 

"So what do we do to help him, exactly?" Doyoung asked, determined to make Taeyong step away from the dangerous path he was taking.

"We follow him to make sure he doesn't do something stupid."

But Taeyong was already way ahead of them, driving like crazy on the road, careless of the loud sound of honks being heard whenever he crossed path with another car. Judging by the name of the store behind Iseul on the picture that Park had sent him, she was in town.

His blood rushed as the adrenaline took over his tired body, having the effect of ten shots of expresso running through his veins.
When Johnny had said that Park was dead, the look in his eyes hurt Taeyong more than his words. He had looked at him like he was mad, and the spark of concern that had appeared in his eyes had made Taeyong's heart ache.

He didn't want his members to worry about him, and he certainly didn't want them to think that he was crazy, either. But he had to keep his mouth shut about Park being alive. He had to.

They had a deal. Taeyong couldn't tell anyone that he wasn't dead, or else he'd hurt Iseul. But God, the need to speak about it, to share his burden with the people he cared about became heavier by day, and he wasn't sure how long he'd last until he'd finally break down.

—-
What do you think so far?