Chapter nineteen: The calm before the storm

"Did I make myself clear?"

Taeyong's tone was categorical, and his stare made Kun quiver in his seat.

"Hyung..." he inhaled deeply. "Don't forget that it's Iseul we're talking about. She's a girl. She'll find out eventually, they always do."

Taeyong simply rolled his eyes.

"And she's not just any girl, you know that. She's smart. Don't underestimate her, you already did once and we both know how that ended up. When will you learn your lesson?"

"She won't find out if you give me your word that you and WayV will keep your mouths shut," Taeyong snapped.

Kun sighed. "Fine. As you wish, but don't come crying when she'll hate you for lying to her this whole time, because I warned you."

"You don't know the whole thing, Kun. As much as I appreciate and value your advice, I won't listen to you this time. I need to protect her."

"Lying isn't protecting, hyung."

Taeyong closed his eyes and massaged his temples. "She'll hate me either way..." he murmured, but Kun heard him.

"You're right, I don't know the whole story, and I won't find out unless you decide to tell me. And you're also right about the fact that she'll be upset about it either way. But I do know that there's a high chance she'll forgive you and understand your situation if you're honest with her. Because when she'll find out by herself -and trust me, she will- you'll probably loose her forever."

"I gave my word, Kun. You know I'm not one to break a promise, even if it's to him."

"Then find another way. You're Lee Taeyong, head of the NCT mafia for fuck's sake. You always find a way."

Without adding anything else, Kun stood up and headed to the door.

"You should try and get some rest now. No offense, but you look awful. If you don't want Iseul to find out something's up with you, even though I think it's too late already, you should probably sleep for a couple hours at least."

Taeyong nodded and watched as Kun closed the door behind him. Deep down, he knew that Kun was right. He always was, that's why he was his counselor, after all; and it never ended up well when Taeyong ignored his words.

Leaning into his chair, he rubbed his eyes trying to get out of his own mind. What Taeyong didn't know was that, in the room just above of his, Iseul was also battling with her demons.

Sitting on her bed, her eyes staring at the wall in front of her, the girl tried her hardest not to let her inner voices get the best of her.

'Murderer, you're nothing but a murderer.'

It had almost been a month now since it happened. Iseul thought the voices would fade away eventually, but they only got louder as time passed by, and they were now eating her alive. She couldn't sleep anymore. Every time she dared to close her eyes, the bloody picture of her father's corpse would appear in her mind, like a ghost haunting her.

Judging by the worried looks she had been getting from some members lately, she realized it was starting to get obvious. The only one who didn't seem to notice was Taeyong.

Or so she thought.

The both of them were fighting their own battles, but while doing this, they didn't realize how distant they slowly became.

Taeyong snapped out of his dark thought at the sound of his phone beeping. Looking at the screen, his brows furrowed, and he clenched his jaw.

"Friday. You have until Friday to get rid of your girlfriend's mother, or I'll be the one getting rid of her."

Friday. That was forty-eight hours away.

He had less than two days to find a way out of this situation. He hated Iseul's parents. But he couldn't do that to her. Her mother was the only family she had left. He couldn't kill her, even if he wanted to.

He smashed his phone against the wall out of frustration, letting out an infuriating groan. The loud sound made Iseul jump in her bed, wondering what the hell it was.

She hesitated for a second, but slowly put a foot on the floor after the other, quietly walking to her door. She had no idea what she was doing, and she knew it wasn't a good idea to go see Taeyong, especially if he was angry, but she couldn't help herself. It was like her body was moving on its own, and she let her legs guide her down the stairs until she reached the wooden door.

Timidly bringing a hand up to knock, the sound suddenly stopped. Gathering all the courage she could, Iseul slowly turned the doorknob, letting herself in the dark office, just like she had done the very first time.

She brought a hand to her mouth looking at the scene in front of her. A faint breeze made her hair move, coming from the opened window, and papers were scattered on the floor. The entire room was a mess, but that's not what got her attention.

No, her eyes immediately focused on the man standing on the balcony, head in his hands as he let out quiet sobs.

Iseul quietly walked in after closing the door behind her and made her way towards him. She felt her heart break at the sound of his cries, and she bit her lip as she carefully extended a shaky hand in his direction.

"T-Taeyong?"

—-
Excuse the poor writing, I did it in a rush, I'll probably rewrite it at some point but I wanted to publish it nonetheless