Chapter three: It's all about the 'details'

The loud sound of Park's fist hitting the table made all his men jump in fear, and shiver in their seats. They all looked down, avoiding any eye contact with their boss, scared that it would be the last thing they'd see.

"So what you're telling me," Park began in a threatening tone, observing each and every one of the men around the table, "is that you still haven't found her?"

No one dared to speak; too afraid he'd kill them right here and there without a second thought.

Park pinched the bridge of his nose as he let out a sigh, closing his eyes in exasperation.

"You do realize that everything I've done so far means nothing as long as she's still alive and breathing?" His deep voice resonated in the room, like thunder.

Park knew nobody would speak; they were clever enough to know that it would be a stupid move. 

"All of you, out of my sight, now!" he yelled, and everyone got up in the second. "And you better find that bitch before I decide to kill you instead."

When the last man to get out finally closed the door of the meeting room, Park let himself fall back in his chair. He thought he had everything planned and under control, but it turned out he was wrong. His goal was slowly getting farther away from him, and if he didn't want it to disappear, he had to act fast.

Back at NCT headquarters, Taeyong was heading to his library. That's where Iseul was spending most of her days, she hardly ever went out. A part of him was glad she didn't, he preferred to know she was safe between his walls and not out there when Park was still near. But Taeyong also knew that she wasn't happy. Something had changed, and he didn't know what.

When he got in, his eyes immediately searched for her usual spot, near the window. Just like the other days, she was sitting with a book in her hand. Iseul spent her days surrounded by books, it was like she preferred their company over NCT's members.

"Iseul?" Taeyong spoke and she jumped a little, startled by his sudden appearance next to her. She had been too absorbed in her book and failed to realize he had been standing there for a solid minute.

She looked at him with a questioning face.

"I, uh, forgot to give you this back."

Taeyong didn't know why he stuttered; it was like her stare alone was enough to make him weak. He had noticed the sadness in them, and his heart clenched.

Since when did she have that kind of effect on him?

He eventually realized the girl was waiting for him to do something as he was just staring without moving.

Taeyong reached for his pocket and handed the small item to the girl.

"My phone," Iseul spoke, surprised.

"With everything that's been happening, I completely forgot to give it back to you, sorry. I won't be needing it anymore."

Iseul shot him a shy smile, "Thanks."

Silence suddenly filled the large room, and Taeyong cleared his throat.

"Iseul, I was thinking, and maybe we should talk-"

He didn't have time to finish his sentence, as someone abruptly barged in the room.

"Hyung, you need to come see this, quick!" Mark panted, hands on his hips as he tried to catch his breath.

Taeyong shot Iseul a worried look, but she just nodded, and soon, he was following Mark through the house, leaving the girl to her books.

"What is it, Mark?" he asked, annoyed that the boy had interrupted him.

The Ace was walking fast, and after taking a sharp turn at the end of a corridor, he knocked on the door in front of him.

"Taeil-hyung found something."

The man opened the door to his surveillance room, and, after he greeted the leader, went back to his screens.

"I was watching the news," he began, selectioning a specific channel to show Taeyong, "and I came across this."

Taeyong's eyes widened as he looked at the screen in front of him.

"Looks like we forgot about a detail..." Mark trailed off.

The leader clenched his fists in anger. How could he be so stupid?

"Iseul's mother..."

—-
Thank you so much for 100k+ reads on House Of Cards, I never thought that this book would get so many reads!