📃 CHAPTER THREE | HELLO SEOUL

My conviction had driven me to make a decision that only I considered right. Motivated by a dire need to escape the bore that was my life, I defied the will of my parents and ignored the foretold arrival of the affluent Singh family, back at Boston. I guess I was finally able to borrow the courage Jess possessed.

Yes. I did make a decision and while it had nothing to do with Boston or Harvard, it had everything to do with South Korea.

After hours of a rather enjoyable flight, I Priya Kapoor for the first time in my life finally arrived at the Gimpo International Airport, Seoul, South Korea.

I got to the airport's terminal, passed through baggage claim and arrived at the exit of the beautiful glass-covered building. I stepped out through automatic doors and admired the wonders that surrounded me.

The air was chilly, trees had their branches bare without the presence of leaves and snow planted its stunning white on rooftops and streets. I unzipped my luggage, got out a grey sweater and buried myself in it. Korea was still claimed by the freezing winds of winter.

The presence of artificial intelligence robots, giant digital displays, guide maps and unmanned vending cafes greeted me. Stores and malls made bright by light waves enough to oppress the human sight added to the liveliness that was South Korea. I was finally in the land of the morning calm.

I took in a deep breath and with arms spread wide like one far from sane, I smiled and said "Hello Seoul!"

I looked at a smart watch clutched to my left wrist. It was the twentieth hour of the day and according to a call I received from Yoojin agency before I boarded the plane, someone from the agency was supposed to pick me up an hour ago.

I paced around hoping they had not turn away due to impatience. I squinted and searched for everything and nothing when warmth found its way to my heart.

A few steps from where I stood I found my name inscribed on a beautiful white placard in striking red prints. Beneath my name the words 'YooJin Agency' were clearly seen.

The human who held the placard was dressed in a black suit and behind him a Hyundai Sonata in the best shade of blue was parked. Being the daughter of a man who loved to show off his wealth by wheels, I had a good knowledge of cars. The Hyundai I sighted spelt luxury as expected from a popular talent agency like YooJin.

Excitement coursed through the strings that were my veins and with high expectations satisfied by the lively canvas around me, I headed for my ride.

When I got into the car, a chubby human greeted me while the man who held the placard drove.

My eyeballs danced within my skull, not able to get a complete grasp of the beauty it discovered.

Spleen clean streets, live traffic displays and transit times, gigantic LED display screens, air quality monitors, drinking fountains, recycling stations and surveillance cameras at every corner perfectly described the world that had gone ahead of its time. And that world was South Korea.

"Hello, I'm Park Donghyun. You can call me Mr Park and the man driving is Hwang Do Yoon. I'm a representative from YooJin talent agency and Kim Tae Min's manager." The chubby man seated next to me said in English, interrupting my thoughts of admiration.

I squealed within me at the sound of the words 'Kim Tae Min'.

"Congratulations on winning this vacation Miss Kapoor. It's nice to meet you." He made a slight bow and so did I. Then we shook hands briefly.

"So are you fluent in Korean?" He asked.

"I am. I actually take Korean language as a major in school. I'm also self-taught. I have a grasp on Hanja and Hangul and I'm getting better at Romanization as well, so I can read and write in Korean." I said in Korean language. The words left my lips with such ease, anyone would think I was a citizen by birth.