📃 CHAPTER FOUR | AT BANPO BRIDGE

There I was staring at the most perfect being I had ever seen at the Banpodaegyo Bridge in South Korea, unaware of the fact that a crush gone wrong could become the love that would consume me.

There was no special effect of any kind as seen in movies, but the stars of the night sky and the moth-ridden streetlights illuminated the beauty of Kim Tae Min. The beauty consumed me and that was more than enough.

"Hi, I'm fine and it's alright, I can speak English." He said, with a smile so pure.

He had spoken and in an attempt to reply, my voice vanished for seconds. I pinched my thighs and bit down on my lips praying for self-composure.

I did not want Tae Min to find out that I was a fan. If he did, he might put on a mask, smile and run away.

Frightened by the thought, I took in a deep breath and exhaled releasing all tension from my diaphragm. Soon, I was back to my normal self.

Drenched in the realm of clarity from forced confidence, I became Priya Kapoor, the assertive Indian girl and not Priya Kapoor, the die-hard fan of Kim Tae Min.

"Hi, I'm sorry I thought something was wrong." I said in English, my voice twice as enchanting.

"No, everything's fine. You're a foreigner but you speak Korean so well. Were you born here?" He asked. The sunglasses, a disguise from the public, were completely removed from his eyes. I was lost in the gorgeousness of those almond-shaped eyes.

"No. I was actually born in the United States but my parents are from Mumbai. So I'm an Indian-American, sort of." I laughed but my thoughts felt differently.

"Too much information Priya! Keep it cool!"

"That's nice." He said.

There was an awkward minute between us. The air felt heavy. The norm reaction would be a sickness called 'uncomfortable' but I did not feel such sickness. I was thrilled and did the best I could to restrain myself from hugging him.

"So...what are you doing here? Staring at the river?" I asked, in an attempt to break the silence.

"I wanted to get some fresh air." He said and I saw it. The sadness in his eyes.

I always doubted my judgement of Kim Tae Min. I thought I had gotten so obsessed, I assumed his true feelings but at that moment I knew my perception was true. He was sad.

He did his best to smile but I kept my eyes fixed on the tears that glistened at the corner of his eyes. Something was wrong.

I took another look at his hands and this time, I could finally see beyond the gold rings. Perhaps the shock of meeting an idol like him blinded me a few minutes ago.

Now, I found an opened bottle of Bourbon clutched by his left hand and on his right a pack of cigarettes remained sealed.

"I don't think those would help you get 'fresh air'." I said.

He smiled.

"I'm sorry but I'm not judging. I'm just being a concerned passer-by. I mean are you really going to drink that Bourbon, smoke and then drive across this bridge? That's quite dangerous don't you think? I think it is." I said. My confidence overwhelmed me and my true concern for Kim Tae Min, began to slip out.

"It's not a good idea is it? Cigars keep me calm. I really wanted to get rid of the stress I feel right now." He said. I pitied him.

I had to help him. I always wished I could and by fate unexplained I was given the chance to. I decided to take it.

"Okay! Here's what we're going to do..."

"I'm sorry we?" He asked, his eyes grew large from surprise.