📃CHAPTER TWENTY | GOOD BYE

A week ran by earth in haste. I visited Tae Min everyday but with disguises. The media carried news of Tae Min's incident and fans who wanted more updates lined the gates of the hospital.

At night, candle lights glowed like stars in the hands of Tae Min's fans at the front of the Asan Medical Centre. I knew the kind souls prayed for his recovery but my heart ached every time I saw those lights.

I spent more hours in the hospital and due to the lurking workers from the press I lived with Hwang Do Yoon, Tae Min's trust worthy driver.

On the seventh day after Tae Min's surgery I was out grocery shopping when Eun Ji called. She informed me that Kim Tae Min had woken up.
Like a mad lady, I dropped the grocery I bought at the mall and got a taxi.

When I got to the hospital I ran with the wind while tears flew off my eyes. I punched numbers on the elevator more than once and I bumped into patients. I did apologize but I did so in haste.

I got to the door of Tae Min's room and stood still. My throat closed up and I opened my mouth in a struggle to breathe normally.

I turned the handle and pushed the door open.

Eun Ji stood by a window in the spacious room. She smiled at me. Dr Mo Tak welcomed me with a bright look and a few nurses greeted me with a bow.

There he was. Sitting pretty on a bed with bruises on his face and arms. Kim Tae Min was awake.
I did my best to hold back the tears in my eyes but my heart let them pour freely. Kim Tae Min was alive.

"I think we should leave now." Dr Mo Tak said.
Eun Ji and the nurses left the room.

"I'll be back to take a few notes Tae Min. Rest up." Dr Mo Tak said and took his leave as well.

I stared at Tae Min without a word. He smiled at me and wiped the tears off my face.

"Hey, you." He said.

The tears poured like a flood and with a loud cry I hugged him.

"It's okay. It's okay. I'm fine Pree. I missed you too."

I cleaned my tears and sat beside him with his hands in mine.

"Oh my goodness! Your eyes are swollen. I'm sorry I put you through this Pree. It'll never happen again. I promise." Tae Min said, while he caressed my cheeks.

"Don't say that. It's my..."

"Eun Ji told me everything you told her Pree. She also told me you think my condition's your fault. Well it isn't and I don't want you to repeat the same thing when you're with me. None of this is your fault Pree. It's all on me. I should've sent you back home after our scheduled date at Mingles but I convinced you to stay. If I wasn't an addict and an irresponsible jerk, I'd be able to face my brother and father earlier. I was incompetent and selfish. This is on me Pree." Tae Min cut my words short.

His eyes were different. They held sadness and anger. The aura about him was different as well. I got worried.

"Tae Min I..."

"I've booked a flight for you. You'll be back in Boston in three weeks. It's the right thing to do. If I sent you home earlier, you wouldn't be faced with..."

"What are you saying? You want me to leave? I can't leave you Tae Min. Not like this. Dr Mo Tak said I should be here for you so..."

"Why? Why should you still be in Seoul, Pree? Is it because my legs are paralysed? Do you feel pity for me? You shouldn't! If my legs don't work anymore, it's on me. This has nothing to do with you..."

"This has everything to do with me Tae Min! I'm the reason you're..."

"This has nothing to do with you Pree! I'm the reason I'm this way. I'm the reason you..."