📃 CHAPTER NINE | LEE JUN HO

It was almost midnight and Kim Tae Min had not returned. I paced around in his study, pinching my finger nails and tapping my thighs.

I called his phone over and over but he did not pick up. I left the study and put on my shoes ready to leave the house in search for him.
I stared at the front door completely confused.

“Pree?!” Eun Ji called.

She rubbed her sleepy eyes and walked towards me in a pair of flip flops and pyjamas.

“What are you doing here?” She asked.

If there was anyone who could help me, it was Lee Eun Ji.

I told her everything that had happened and she called Mr Park who informed us that Tae Min was in his father’s house.

At the sound of the word ‘father’, I felt relief but I saw fear in Eun Ji’s eyes. No. It was worse than fear. She quivered in cold sweat.

“Eun Ji what’s wrong?” I asked.

“He shouldn’t be there. Why did he go there?”

“What’s wrong Eun Ji? Who shouldn’t be where?”

“Brother Tae Min. He shouldn’t be in father’s house. He’ll get hurt again.” Eun Ji began to whimper.

“Again? What do you mean again?!” I asked but Eun Ji did not answer. Her words became hard to read between tears.

“Get dressed. We’re leaving.” I said. Bravery bloomed within me again.

“What?”

“We’re going to get your brother.” I said.

Eun Ji got dressed and after a call, we got into a taxi. In a few minutes we arrived at the mansion of Lee Jun Ho. Kim Tae Min’s stepfather.

The taxi stopped at a U-turn next to Lee Jun Ho’s mansion. I wanted to make sure we were not seen. I got out of the taxi and turned to Eun Ji, who sat still. The poor thing quaked in fear and I was about to find out why.

“Are you sure you want to stay here?” I asked.

“Yes, please. I’m sorry but father can’t know I brought you here.” She said.

“It’s alright. I’ll do my best to stay out of his sight. I’ll look for your brother and if I can’t find him, I’ll take you home.” I said.

I walked with my arms folded tightly. The summer blessed earth with heat but the air felt chilly that night.

I was a few steps from the huge gate at the Lee Jun Ho’s home when I halted my steps at the sight of a black limousine and five men.

Four of the men were arrayed in suits. They looked like body guards.

The fifth man was dressed in a jeorgori and baji which completed the male hanbok look. It was weird that he was so traditional in twenty first century. Still, the sight of a hanbok gave me joy.

The man in the traditional attire held a Gurkha Royal Courtesan cigar in his right hand and kept his balance with a walking stick on his left. His hair though black, shone grey at its ends. He looked like one in his fifties. I presumed he was Kim Tae Min’s step-father.

I moved closer and kept my presence hidden as I strutted quickly behind parked cars near Lee Jun Ho’s home. I got close enough until I could hear and see everything that transpired at the gate of the luxurious mansion.

I squinted at an object on the floor next to Lee Jun Ho. It was a human. He bowed and his head was between his knees.

Lee Jun Ho kicked the human and he screamed. He kicked the human’s abdomen repeatedly and planted bruises with his walking stick. The human screamed louder.