📃CHAPTER SEVENTEEN | OUR LAST DANCE

South Korea in its entirety was made beautiful in the manifestation of white paddings that descended in harmony from the sky.

Rooftops and trees were covered by the cold stuffing called snow. Humans wrapped themselves in layers of clothing. Wool and fur were more than just a fashion statement. Lakes and streams became slippery floors of ice. Mammals a few hibernated and crickets were silent at night.

The winter season was truly different from others and the teeth-gnashing winds that accompanied her frosty presence told the world so.

It was three days to Christmas and citizens of South Korea did not hold back in sharing the joy of the season. Mistletoes, Christmas trees, ribbons drenched in the colours red, green and yellow glided in waves across buildings and traffic lights. Tiny light bulbs caught between the pure white of fallen show shimmered in a dimmed beauty in the midst of the cold.

Malls and companies held outdoor activities, shows, giveaways and contests for the people. Restaurants welcomed customers with a smile and special dishes. Vendors wore red hats of all shapes and sizes. Men and women of varied heights wore Santa Claus costumes and jingle bells on their feet while they gave out balloons and candies to kids.

Snowflakes glittered when touched by the sun and kids caught a few with their tongues and noses. Other children made snowballs and a few built rather ugly snowmen. Mothers yelled at their children who made snow angels and fathers bought roasted potatoes for their families.

It was a magical season.

I held Tae Min’s arm while we walked into an event sponsored by the YooJin Agency. The event was held in the PKM Gallery in Samcheong-ru, Seoul. Tae Min and the YooJin agency had to pull a few strings to get my photographs and artwork displayed in the prestigious gallery. 

The name ‘pictures_by_pree’ gained great popularity and with Tae Min’s help, I hosted several art shows. The activities were sponsored by the YooJin Agency who also benefited from it due to the number of participants that attended.

It was such a thrill to see my photographs bought by celebrities and idols from Singapore, China, Malaysia and Korea. It was the most fulfilling moment of my life and every second accounted for a shout of joy. I should have been over excited but my heart was troubled.

I had three days to call off my marriage with Rajesh. I had three days to tell Tae Min the truth. I had three days to decide if I would return to Boston or stay in Seoul. I had three days to tell my parents the truth about Tae Min. I had three days to set my soul free.

Apparently Rajesh was a coward without an ounce of bravery, so it was up to me to end our engagement. I did love Tae Min and I was quite brave but I felt nauseous and anxious at the thought of my arranged marriage.

I realized it was a burden I could not bear alone so I told Tae Min the truth before we left for the art gallery that morning.

I held his hands and smiled at him until we got to the PKM Gallery. He said nothing.

He had an expressionless look and only smiled at guests who appeared at the art gallery. He gave me the cold shoulder. It was cute at first, but after three hours I got worried.

I was frightened at his reaction and hoped he wasn’t mad because I lied about my marriage to Rajesh. I should have told him the truth earlier. I should not have lied when he asked me about it.

I was hurt by Tae Min’s attitude towards me at the gallery. I prayed things would change at the end of the event, but Tae Min remained silent.

We rode in Tae Min’s Ferrari for a while and the air around us was dense. My limbs felt heavy and I felt twice as cold. I shivered and folded my arms.