Modern!AU

The moment you get home, you're certain that you'll collapse.

With haste, you make your way to your bedroom. It wasn't difficult to navigate your one small apartment, even with all the clothes strewn about. You haphazardly stumble into your room, before plopping onto your bed. The mattress creaks beneath your weight, causing you to wince. Cheap material gives cheap results.

A relieved sigh leaves your lips as your eyes shut tightly. A long day at campus, jotting down notes, listening to Professors speak, dealing with annoying classmates... the list goes on. Despite this, you're grateful to be receiving an education.

You notice your phone buzzing, and decide to check it. The name "Mikachu" shows up on your screen, causing you to smile.

Mikachu
Did you pass your test?

[First]
ye just barely lmao

You can imagine her rolling her eyes at your nonchalance.

Mikachu
That's a relief. I told you studying would be a good idea.

[First]
who would've thought......

Mikachu
Looking at your recent grades, not you. I wish you would take your schooling more seriously.

[First]
it doesn't matter as long as I pass right?? I'm doing pretty ok

Mikachu
You could do a lot better if you gave it more effort.

[First]
tru. anyways,

[First]
can I send you a meme!!! it's a good one I swear

Mikachu
Even if I say no you'll still send me it. Please tell me it's not going to be the frog.

[First]
don't shame me

Mikachu
I'm not. I'm just saying that frog has nothing to offer you.

[First]
this frog helps my crops grow

Mikachu
What crops? We live in the city.

[First]
it's a joke my dude

Mikachu
I'm aware. It's fun messing with you though.

[First]
BOIIII I don't deserve this treatment

Mikachu
In the third grade you threw away my apple juice.

[First]
it was IN THE THIRD GRADE why are you bringing this up now?????? is this your tragic anime backstory or smth

Mikachu
Yes. You throwing away my apple juice haunts my dreams every night.

Your weird sense of humor must be growing on Mikasa.

[First]
how unfortunate

Mikachu
Indeed. Also, I was wondering something.

[First]
if you need help hiding a body not now. armin borrowed my shovel

Mikachu
It has nothing to do with that. I'm not going to even ask why Armin is borrowing your shovel, or why you own one.

[First]
didn't I tell you? my crops. I must tend to them on a daily basis

Mikachu
Regardless, here's my question. It's a bit weird. But... do you mind if we take a picture together tomorrow?

[First]
of course i don't mind!!! I'll make myself extra pretty just for you (; (; (;

Mikachu
Wait a moment. I'm not done yet. I was wondering if I could kiss you on the cheek for the picture?

You mindlessly touch your face, feeling the warmth as you do so. Mikasa was never into displaying public affection, or being this bold. It catches you off guard, but you enjoy the senseless hum of your heart.

With shaky fingers, you type out your response.

[First]
that'd be nice. don't forgot to send me a pic of it too

[First]
also.... why is it you want this pic? asking for a friend

Mikachu
I noticed one of my classmates had a picture of them and their significant other as their phone's wallpaper. I thought it'd be nice.

[First]
that makes me really happy...!!!! I can't wait to see you tomorrow. love you lots! <3<3<3

Mikachu
It's a relief to know you don't think that's weird.

For a moment, your phone remains silent.

Until you notice one last message.

Mikachu
I love you too. <3