you've had too much of the digital love [z.d]

hello sorry if this is lazy or seems rushed i didnt like looking at it anymore skfndnf jdhakdnd
i ws originally going to make this longer but i physically cannot think and therefore this is all u get

fic title from ; dreamland by glass animals

pairing ; skephalo [zak/skeppy + darryl/badboyhalo]

prompt ; literally tech support au!!

cws/tws ; none!

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

zak slams his head down on his desk with a groan, once again glaring at the internal servers error flashing on his dimmed chrome tab. the internet in their dorm room has been shitty all day long, and now zak has an assignment due in - he checks the time briefly before dropping his head back down - an hour and can't even turn it in.

arran's been away, probably trying to pull more pranks on harvey and george, and he's the more tech savvy person out of the two of them. while zak loves computers, coding, gaming, anything to do with the satisfying clack of a keyboard, anything that has to do with fixing a computer he's completely clueless about. which is fine, because that's why arran's there.

except he's not. which means zak has to talk to tech support.

with a reluctant sigh, he heaves himself up and almost stumbles, catching himself on his desk. god, being short and also having an iron deficiency really fucks with a person, right? blunt nails dig into the mahogany wood of his desk as he waits for the bout of nausea to pass, and when it does, he straightens his posture the best he can and looks around for his phone.

it's on his bed - great, he can just lay down until the tech support comes - and he sighs in relief, snatching the rectangular device and sinking down into his aquamarine comforter. the number he already has memorised, phantom laughter plaguing his ears from the countless times arran has prank called the tech support, and he finds himself absentmindedly typing the string of numbers in. he holds the phone to his ear and waits, picking at the dirt underneath his fingernails while waiting for the person on the other end of the line to pick up.

on one hand, he's aware it'll take quite a while; it's a little past eleven at night and he's sure they're going to be tired, if not already clocked out, but on the other hand, he can't help but feel moderately disappointed. it's an assignment he's spent a while on and he's proud of himself for finishing, but they're obviously going to deduct from the full grade since he turned it in late. he's too caught up in thinking that he doesn't notice when the line has stopped ringing and a staticky voice shakes him from getting lost in his own head.

"tech support, my name is b- darryl, excuse me, how can i help you?" he sounds oddfully cheerful for being awake pretty late, but zak tucks that away and tries to focus.

"sorry, sorry for calling so late," he shifts, sitting up in his bed, "i'm zak. uh.. i've been having issues with my internet? i usually could get my roommate to fix it but he's not here right now and i have an assignment due in like... a little more than half an hour so i kinda need help."

"oh, sure!" he can hear the typing of a keyboard in the background and his fingers twitch, itching to get back onto his own keys, but it's late and he's probably gotta stay up and do other stuff after the internet is fixed, so it's not like he'll be gaming anytime soon. besides, it's no fun without a friend there. "have you tried resetting your router?" darryl asks him, and he frowns.

maybe zak should get more into computers and stuff. he's sure there's instructions for it online, but as he glances back over to his open computer, he's reminded of the reason he's even in this predicament. darryl waits patiently over the phone for zak to say something, but when a minute passes and the other has gone completely silent, he can't help but worry a bit.