50k Reads Interview Special

Right off the bat, I just want to say thank you for reading and supporting this book! I've had a lot of fun writing it and I'm having a great time writing the sequel. I will warn whoever reads this that there will be spoilers! I don't recommend reading this until you finish the book. This is where I'm going to answer some questions, as well as have the characters themselves answer a few questions. I'll still answer any questions you have if you comment on the chapter! Alright, here we go!

Let's start off with my favorite question:

Question: What type of hunter is (Y/N)?

Answer: The world may never know. So for the most part of the story, I also kept (Y/N)'s nen type vague as well and I was never planning on elaborating on it. As the story went on, I felt inclined to go into more detail so I could show more fight scenes, and talk about nen more in general. I still refuse to set (Y/N)'s hunter type in stone and I continue to make it a running gag that she gets cut off every time because I think that's hilarious. Although if I absolutely had to pick what type of hunter (Y/N) is I would say she's a poacher hunter.

Question: Favorite/most fun chapter to write?

Answer: I had a lot of fun writing Part Seventeen (Which is where (Y/N) helps Kurapika retrieve a pair of scarlet eyes from Tenchi), and Part Twenty-One (Where (Y/N) fights Ryuu in Heaven's Arena). I enjoy writing fight scenes a lot if you can't already tell. I also really loved writing the final chapter. But I'd have to say my favorite chapter is Part Twenty (Where (Y/N) unwillingly goes on a date with Illumi). I had so much fun writing it and writing jealous Kurapika.

Question: Is there anything you would go back and change?

Answer: I would definitely love to rewrite the first few chapters (I wrote them so long ago). But the main thing I would change is the chapter about how Max died. I wish I had detailed it more and showed more interactions between him and (Y/N). Max was such a catalyst in the story and I don't think I showed that well enough.

Question: Favorite character (Besides Kurapika obviously)?

Answer: Bennett for sure. When he was introduced he was supposed to be a suspicious man who came from out of nowhere, and he was meant to be a suspect for (Y/N)'s attacker. He was only meant to be suspicious for a chapter or two, but everyone was suspicious of him for the rest of the book which kind of worked in my favor. I'm also really fond of Izunavi and I wish there was more canon information about him, but I think I've portrayed him pretty well.

Question: What was Kurapika's first impression of (Y/N) at the Hunter Exam?

Kurapika's Answer: I found (Y/N) to be quite strange. It was unusual of her to return my weapon that I had dropped on Zevil Island. It was rare to see strangers helping each other during that phase of the exam. Although, she did take my tag from me somehow. After she returned it, we continued helping each other out, and I did not mind being around her one bit.

Author's Answer: He found himself drawn to her from the start and she felt the same towards him. He was wary of her at first, but he enjoyed her company immensely. (Y/N) was at a strange point in her life where she was used to being alone, however, she kept getting approached by people. She could have easily left his weapon and tag somewhere near him for him to find, but she decided to approach him instead because she was interested in learning who this strange person was.

Question: What type of paperwork do Kurapika, Leorio, and (Y/N) do?

Kurapika's Answer: In Leorio's case, I'm certain that he receives the easiest paperwork out of all of us. (Y/N) and I generally get assigned paperwork regarding requests for help from other hunters or reports of misconduct. Judging from what (Y/N) tells me, as Vice Chairman, she receives more important paperwork at times.