Part Twenty-Four

You stand across from your nen teachers in a clearing in the woods, your ren rolling off of you in waves. You've finally decided on a new hatsu ability, and they've both been helping you perfect it for the past few weeks.

"Alright, take a rest, (Y/N)," Jaya says sternly, "You have done enough for today."

Izunavi nods to this, "You don't wanna overwork yourself and worry Kurapika."

You let out a deep breath, your ren dissipating from your figure. With the back of your hand, you wipe the beads of sweat from your forehead. Jaya hands you a bottle of water, prompting you take a long drink from it.

Izunavi sits down on the ground, cross-legged, "Kurapika really went back to work?"

"Yeah, it took a lot of effort to talk him into it," You begin to explain to him, "But Leorio said Cheadle was starting to get upset about him being gone, so we had to."

"I am surprised that he would agree to it at all," Comes Jaya's monotone voice.

You place the cap back on your water bottle, before nodding, "It's a good thing that he trusts Bennett more now. When Kurapika is gone, usually Bennett keeps watch over me." You gesture to them, saying, "And he already trusts you two."

"Has he told you anything interesting lately?" Izunavi wonders, an obvious smirk plastered on his face. This causes Jaya to elbow him, shooting him a glare, but he just shrugs in response.

You're quick to shake your head at this, counter-asking, "Why? Is there something I should know?"

Jaya fervently shakes her head, brushing Izunavi off, "Do not listen to him, (Y/N). He is only joking around."

You raise an eyebrow at both of them, Izunavi just shrugs casually, while Jaya looks slightly annoyed. A voice calling your name distracts you from them, and your attention turns to Bennett who's running towards you. He stops in front of you, bending over to catch his breath.

"(Y/N).." He continues panting profusely, "Kurapika.. is looking for you."

You quickly take out your cellphone, noticing several missed calls and messages, then you notice how late it is. "I'd better hurry. Sorry guys, let's pick up where we left off tomorrow!"

They both agree to this and wave to you as you walk away with Bennett. He holds a nervous smile on his face as he walks alongside you, prompting you to wonder,

"Is something wrong?" Bennett quickly shakes his head, but his expression says otherwise. "I know that you're lying, Bennett."

He lets out a defeated sigh, his smile finally falling, "Kurapika was upset at me. He said I wasn't watching you well enough."

"Don't worry, I'll talk to him," You reassure him, "He'll be fine once I explain that I was with Jaya and Izunavi."

"Thanks, (Y/N)," He replies. He remembers what Kurapika said to him, and his expression changes into a terrified one, "Kurapika is scary when he's mad.." You cant help but laugh at this, causing Bennett to exclaim, "Don't laugh! I thought I was gonna die!"

When you both reach the apartment, Kurapika is quick to pull you into his arms, holding you tightly. "(Y/N), I'm so glad.." He pulls away momentarily, looking you up and down, "You're not injured, are you?" You shake your head in response, causing him to hold you close again, "I'm glad."

"You don't have to worry," Your voice comes muffled from being so close to him, "I'm fine, Kurapika. I was training with Jaya and Izunavi and we lost track of the time."

"I see," He looks up to make eye contact with Bennett, "I apologize for losing my composure on you, Bennett."

Bennett is quick to accept his apology, nervously laughing, "It's fine. No hard feelings." He looks away from him, still feeling terrified.