Part 2: Edward's Big Idea

The first thing I needed to do was some research. I had to find out what other people in our neighbourhood did to deter burglars.

The first port of call was our neighbours Mr and Mrs Maddocks. Mr and Mrs Maddocks had been friends of Mum and Dad for many years. I explained to them my dilemma and they were only too keen to assist with ideas of their own.

Mr Maddocks explained that their house had never been broken into and he attributed this to the fact that they had a high tech alarm system and surveillance cameras. There were cameras in almost every room of the house, plus several outside. The Maddocks had a room called The Surveillance Room where they had an office set up with a number of monitors that displayed what each camera could see. It all looked very flash, but far too expensive and I think they were a bit paranoid. I thanked Mr and Mrs Maddocks for their time and went to the next place.

The next person to visit was old Mrs Murphy. Old Mrs Murphy lives directly across from us in a very old house on a large block. She is quite a friendly old lady and loves to cook. She loves cooking Irish stew in her favourite pot that looks a little like a miniature witch's cauldron. I knocked on her front door.

'Hello there, Edward, how can I help you?'
'Hi, Mrs Murphy', I replied. 'I need to speak to you about a dilemma.'
'Well then, you'd better come in and have a glass of milk.'

Mrs Murphy gave me an extra large glass of ice cold milk. As I gulped it down, I explained everything. I told her about Mr and Mrs Maddocks' high tech alarm and surveillance cameras.

'I couldn't be bothered with all that high tech guff,' she interrupted. 'I have Chomp!'
Chomp is Mrs Murphy's dog. He is a very large and vicious looking German Shepherd. He's really a bit of a powder puff, but to anyone who doesn't know him he can be quite intimidating. He has a loud, fierce bark and growls from the side gate at anyone that comes to the door.

I finished my glass of milk and asked, 'Have you ever been broken into?'
'Edward, I have lived in this house for more than fifty years. In all that time many things have happened. I spent forty-six glorious years here with my husband, bless his soul, brought up six beautiful children and even saw the first man walk on the moon. Well, I couldn't see him from here - I watched it on the television. But I can safely say that in all those years this house has never had a break in. That's because I have always owned dogs.'

'That's fantastic!' I said with enthusiasm. 'That's the answer. We need a dog, but not just any dog. We need a dog like Chomp, a dog that's big and fierce looking. I'd love to see the expression on the burglars' faces when they're confronted at the door by a dog like Chomp.'

'Yes, that would be a jolly old laugh,' Mrs Murphy added.
'Thanks a lot, Mrs Murphy,' I stood up to leave. 'You've been a great help! Oh, and thanks for the milk.'

'That's okay, my dear. See you next time.'

I left Mrs Murphy's house excited by the fact that I had found the answer. I couldn't wait to tell Mum and Dad. But before this I needed to do some investigative work. What kind of dog did we need? Would it be a German Shepherd like Chomp, a Kelpie, a Collie, or even a Corgi? That's what I had to find out.

Next stop was the local pet shop called 'Crazy Pete's Pets'. I met Crazy Pete and at first he didn't seem that crazy at all. In fact he was quite a placid, quietly spoken fellow.
'What can I do you for?' he asked. 'Are you after a pet of some sort?'

I have no idea why else he thought I'd be there. 'Yes,' I replied. 'I'm after a dog, a watchdog to be precise.'
'A watchdog, hey,' he once again stated the obvious.

'Yes, a watchdog.'
Crazy Pete stood there rubbing his chin in thought for what seemed like an eternity. Finally he said, 'Well my dear fellow, we only have puppies, but puppies can grow into very good watchdogs. Are you after an aggressive rip your arm off type watchdog or one that just barks a lot?'
'Maybe one that just barks a lot,' I replied. I didn't want anyone to get hurt.
Crazy Pete pointed in the direction of a small glass enclosure that housed three fluffy white puppies. 'These puppies can grow to be excellent guard dogs. They love to bark, growl and bare their vicious sharp teeth to any unsuspecting stranger that may be unfortunate enough to cross their path. I can tell you now, sonny Jim, they may look harmless now, but like a good wine, in a couple of years they'll be just the ticket. I couldn't tell you how many of these little babies I've sold as watchdogs over the years. Why just last month a young lady came into the shop and...'
'A poodle,' I interrupted with disdain. 'What could a poodle do?'