√chapter nine

Zainab's POV

Miserable! That was the only term that would depict my state right now.

Crouching down on my legs which caused my limbs to throb in pain behind the useless cartons which were smelling horrible since they were so old, I had my mouth shut with my both palms to prevent myself from speaking. Shakir's every footstep was bringing the terror inside me which was evident from my bizarre heartbeats. I never thought that something like this would happen to me which would force me to hide inside my own home. He was still nearby since his voice which was coming was not far away.

I flinched when his phone rang in lulled silence of the surrounding.

'What? How did that happen? Okay, don't worry; I'll be there in an hour.'

"Today I am going to spare you Zaini, but don't forget that I will follow you like your shadow and I won't sit calmly without taking revenge from you, " Shakir yelled, and with that, the fade sound of his moving steps reverberated giving an idea that he might have gone.

I lifted my head a little bit and peeked to find him already leaving for the main gate. A deep exhale of mitigation left my mouth at this and tears started invading my eyes. It was again so close and today again my luck worked and I got escaped from Shakir. I waited for a few minutes to assure myself that he wasn't pulling any prank by doing this. When I saw him going out, I quickly get out of where I was sitting.

I hastily ran towards Daniyal's room when I remembered he wasn't responding then. As soon as I got inside, I locked the door and for extra safety, I dragged the table in his room in front of the door so that no one would be able to open it. I turned around and glanced at Daniyal. My eyes narrowed in confusion seeing him still laying in the same position as when I left him; with his face tilted to one side and his eyes were closed. I still had no idea what happened to him all of a sudden. He could never sleep in a sitting position considering how he always used to call me to help him get to the bed because he couldn't able to sleep like this.

I quickly ran towards him and grabbed his hand in mine.

"Daniyal Bhai, wake up," I whispered while squeezing his hand.

My heart sank in fear when again there was no response from him. Various kinds of weird yet anxious thoughts came into my mind seeing Daniyal's lifeless body. Something came into my sense and I hurriedly turned around; my eyes gazing here and there. When I found a jug on the table next to the bed, I grabbed it and sprayed some in my empty palm.

I sprinkled some drops on Daniyal's face which caused him to flutter this weary eyelid. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at me with tears flowing in them. I took relaxed breathing discerning him awake.

"Daniyal Bhai, are you okay?" I asked in a low voice while taking his hand again in mine.

My eyebrows gritted in confusion when he cupped my face in his both hands.

"Z...Zainab...I...I am sorry...I am sorry for not...for not be able to....to protect you," he let out some broken words with his eyes constantly dribbling wet tears.

Seeing him like this shattered my heart and I got to know this right away that what he was referring to. He must have seen Shakir trying to force himself upon me and that was the reason he was apologizing to me.

"Daniyal Bhai, don't be sorry, it's not your mistake," I whispered with a smile and quickly filled a glass with water and shoved it in his hand, "take this and drink this water."

Daniyal took the glass with trembling hands but before he could attach it to his mouth, the glass got slipped out of his hand and fell straight on the marbled floor. I glanced at the pieces of glass on the floor and then at Daniyal whose body was vigorously shaking with his tongue protruding out.