√chapter fourty two

••|THE END|••

Shaiq's POV

I just decided to tell her everything. As we were back to normal, living a very happy married life and Zainab was slowly becoming the way she was before all this, this was necessary. Keeping things hidden wouldn't do us any good. Instead, it could again separate us. It was better to make things clear.

Zainab's eyes were widening with every word that came out of my mouth. But in the end, I could notice the depth of the impact of the truth I was telling her when she jerked away her hand out of my grip. She stood up from the bed, breathing heavily. The color on her face was drained.

"What are you saying?" She whispered, more to herself.

I too got out and reached near her. "Zainab, my intention was just to save our marriage. To make both of us realize how much we love each other."

Her eyes filled with tears and then they broke the boundary of her eyelids. As her cheeks got wet, I felt a strong pang in my heart to see her cry.

"It...it was all...it was all made up by you? You...Shaiq you, didn't talk to me, remain angry with me for five years just because of this?" She spoke in between hiccups.

I cupped her face but she quickly moved her face away.

"That's not the truth. That's what I told you. I could never be angry at you. I knew why you did that and I acted to be mad at you just to make you realize I want you as my wife," I reasoned.

Zainab whimpered and wiped her cheeks harshly. "Then you got successful in your plan. Isn't it?"

She sniffed her nose before glaring at me. "So now go and announce this in front of the whole world that your stubborn wife finally confessed that she loved you."

My jaw dropped. I never expected her to take my efforts in this way. "Zainab, what are you saying?"

She sobbed hardly. "You have any idea how much I needed you at that time? But you weren't there... You weren't there, Shaiq. I was so alone and you weren't there for me then as well. I used to call you countless times just to hear your voice but you never for once attended it by mistake. I thought you were angry at me and I hurt you but...but. It was so difficult for me. You don't even know what happened to me when you never used to listen to me. That Shakir---"

I grabbed her both shoulders. "I know everything, Zainab and I did my best to protect you. I swear I wasn't at peace after hurting you with my behavior. When you used to cry, my heart just wants me to punch myself."

She didn't say anything and again freed herself from me. She turned around to go away before I held her wrist to stop her.

"Where are you going?" I asked her.

She gave me a tear-stricken miserable look. "I don't want to talk to you right now."

And after that, she left the room, leaving me to hit my fist on my other palm. Why did she misunderstand me? I decided to go after her but something in me halted me. Maybe she needed some time alone to process this new dump of information. If I would again go in front of her, she would get more furious and thus would only mess up things for both of us.

                  __________________

Zainab's POV

I was so devastated right now. Shaiq's truth had left me off guard. I never expected this. This just let all of my wounds get fresh again. All those bitter memories got reminded to be again. Perhaps that was the reason, why I got so mad at Shaiq.