√chapter thirty eight

Zainab's POV

I woke up from a deep sleep by feeling the touch something of soft and tender moving in my hair. It was so soothing and calm that I kept on closing my eyes despite being awake to get more of it. When my senses came out of the slumber, I finally comprehend it; it was Shaiq's fingers that were running in my hair in a constant rhythm. I stopped an urge to smile at this.

How much he cared for me! He knew I wanted him by my side whenever I woke up and he always made sure to grant my wish true.

"You have awakened, Zaini. Open your eyes," I heard his sarcastic voice and with this, he removed his fingers from my hair. I pouted in annoyance at the sudden loss of contact but more at the end of the amazing feel of his touch in my hair.

Slowly opening my eyes, I looked around. Shaiq was sitting beside me on the bed with a laptop on his lap. His eyes were set on me and his lips were curled into a smirk.

Shortly his smirk changed into a bright smile and he held my hand. "Good afternoon, sweetheart," he said while dropping a kiss on my knuckles.

I returned him the smile before sitting up by taking the support of my elbows. I peeked at his laptop screen. "Are you doing office work?"

"Hmm," he nodded before putting the lid of the laptop down and placing it on the side table. "But not anymore. I promised myself that I will not ignore you anymore and when you will say, I will give you my entire time."

I slid the surge of tears away from my eyes at his words by blinking. It brought so many bitter memories of the last five years in my mind but what more important was the present. And right now I had all of him with me.

"You are so nice, Shaiq. I am bad...I couldn't value your true love. I always doubted your feelings," I mumbled. My tears finally found their way and dropped on my cheeks.

Shaiq turned towards me and took my both hands in his. "Don't say this. Ask my heart, read my eyes that how good you are."

But it didn't do anything. Instead, the stream of my tears got more pronounced. All the memories were suddenly revolving in my mind. From the time he offered me his friendship to the time, I shoved him away brutally. In all this while, I found him to be only selfless and in these pages of the past, I was just an ungrateful friend and then a wife.

"I am not. I am horrible. I hurt you with my behavior. How much you were pleading to me, telling me that you loved me. Requesting me to give you a chance but I...I made you angry. I didn't list--"

"Zainab, don't! You didn't do anything. For God's sake, I wasn't ang---" he sighed before leaving the sentence in between.

He kept on staring at my wet face for a moment and I was cursing myself for not being able to stop my damn tears. All my efforts to quit crying were giving me helpless hiccups and sobs. Looked like those dreadful five years would haunt me forever even if Shaiq would become the Shaiq from five years ago. The thought that my high talks and that I knew him more than himself became like settled clay grains when I failed to understand his true feelings was making me restless. I bit my lower lip and harshly rubbed my cheeks when nothing helped.

"Come here." I glanced at Shaiq when he said this. He was smiling while his both arms were wide open as an invitation for me.

"Come to me, Zainab." He again gestured to me by nodding his head when he noticed my eyes on him. A warm tear fell from my eye before I rushed into his arms.

This tear was different than the ones I was weeping about earlier. It had a feeling of peace and relaxation like the one we got after finding a place to rest after running for miles.