√chapter nineteen

Zainab's POV

'Zaini!"

Those daring footsteps and that particular slang of my name were enough for me to decipher who was following me. In this whole world, only two people called me by this name; one of them had become too stranger for me to say this so it was surely the other one. It was the time, I should tell this jerk that I was not afraid of him. He couldn't just scare me off that easily. And now I would give him a perfect memory for the next time, he would think about messing up with me.

Without wasting a second, I bent down on my knees after spotting a lump of bricks on the corner of the empty area from where I was passing right now. They might be present there for construction purpose but now these would help me. I picked up a small torn piece of red-colored brick which was no bigger than a medium-sized stone and it was also perfectly fitting in my palm. Though its sharp edges were poking against my soft skin, I was paranoid about it as I was more concerned with shoving that person away. I swiftly turned on my toes after noticing that the footsteps had also stopped with me. From my side eyes, I could see a person - more probably a guy. Taking a deep breath, I hurled the brick onto his face with all the might I had.

As soon as the brick hit his face, he groaned loudly, and then I could hear a loud thump which was of course he fell on the ground due to this unexpected attack of mine.

"Shakir, get the hell out of my way and don't you dare follow me again. This is just a small chunk of brick, next time I will toss something bigger on your head, you piece of-"

"Ouch."

I hung back when the one who grunted in pain had a familiar voice. I stared at him more diligently but I couldn't saw his face as he had tilted his face down while his one hand was covering half of his cheek.

"Girl, are you on drugs?" He said in a meek voice while finally looking up at me. His hand was still on his right cheek where I smashed the brick and I could see strains of blood flowing through his gaped fingers.

Seeing his face, my jaw dropped in shock, surprise, and last but not least- remorse. I covered my mouth with my hand while a scream left my mouth.

"Meekal, you?" I whispered as my gaze was just fixed on the blood dripping through his face.

"I am so sorry, I...I didn't know it was you," I crouched down in front of him where I could have the fine view of my accomplishment in the form of his red blood and wounded face, "oh my God, there is so much blood. Ple...please forgive me Meekal. I...I am so stupid but you are stupid too; who in the world ask you to call me Zaini?"

Meekal glared at me before shaking his head sideways and bringing his palm which was on his injured cheek a while ago, before his eyes.

He gasped, looking at his hand, "my precious blood! What the hell did you just do?"

"I really had no idea that it would be you behind me. I am...truly sorry for this. " I said in clutter and moved my head towards my bag; hanging on my shoulder. I dragged its zip and searched for the extra tissue papers I put inside in the morning. After spotting them, I took them out and glanced at them for their cleanliness. Thank God, today I remembered to keep them.

"Please wipe your face with this," I forwarded the bunch of tissues to him at which his scowl got more pronounced but he still grabbed- more like snatched them from me and started rubbing on his cheek.

"Don't be so harsh, Meekal, "seeing him kneading harshly, I yelled.

"Look who is saying, " he mumbled as he rolled his eyes and continued stroking the same way as before.