√chapter twenty eight

Zainab's POV

After a while, Meekal came back with a small tray in his hand. His phone which was ringing earlier already stopped beeping. He smiled at me before placing the tray of food on the table and then himself sat opposite me on the chair. The delicious aroma of grilled chicken sandwiches and coffee reached my nostrils which turned my appetite on as I remembered I didn't have any breakfast today since I woke up late and was in a dire need to rush or else I would have gotten scolded severely on my first day of work by our boss.

"Have them, girl before they get cold. I already barely managed to get them since the mess time is about to close and only a few delicacies were available now, " Meekal announced as he scrunched his nose in annoyance.

Messes and their schedules. Who knew this fact better than me? I, the girl who had been doing more than dozens of jobs since I was in high school.

"Okay and thank you, " I smiled back at him and leaned forward to grab one of the sandwiches in my hand.

"You are welcome, " he mumbled and started savoring the sandwiches like there was no tomorrow.

"Meekal, I came in the morning without having breakfast but it looks like you haven't eaten for a week," I snickered out loud at which Meekal first glanced at me in confusion then his gaze fell from my face to the almost untouched sandwich in my hand before looking at his one which he ate more than half. He chuckled at this while shaking his head.

"I also didn't have breakfast because I also had some issues to deal with, " Meekal answered with a straight face.

I raised my brow, "what issues?"

"Actually, my-" he got interrupted when his phone started ringing again.

Meekal gave me an apologetic smile before grabbing his phone from the table. He peeked at the screen for a moment then at me. Finally, he picked up the call by putting it near to his ear.

"Yes, Inspector Ali?" He mumbled in a low voice as he covered his mouth with his hand and bent down a little.

Oh, so this Inspector Ali again called him. I wondered what relation he had with Meekal.

Meekal's facial expressions tensed a bit as the other person was speaking. I diverted my focus on the food as I didn't want to come across as I was listening to his personal call. I was curious to know about how in the world he got linked with a policeman but I would never ask him this because a few days ago, I told him to stay away from my private matters, now I couldn't do the opposite.

Even I would find it offensive if someone would do something like this to me. For me, it was utterly disrespectful even if Meekal was my really good friend. The only person for whom I used to become extra careless and comfy was Shaiq and one else. But now it became totally altered with him as well.

"Wow, really? I am so glad then."

Suddenly Meekal's cheerful voice came into my ears, bringing me back to reality. I stared at him to find him grinning ear to ear now. He disconnected the call.

"Zainab," he called my name in a deep raspy voice which made me look at him in surprise as I never heard him talking in this voice before.

"Hmm?" That was all I could say.

"Do you remember once I told you about my cousin?" He asked, with a brightness in his eyes, expecting me to know what he was saying.

I frowned when I couldn't recall when he told me something like this so I shook my head.

Meekal scoffed before speaking, "Zainab, about the gang who used to harass the girls including my cousin too. The policeman was informing me that police captured all of them. "