√chapter fourteen

Zainab's POV

My tearful eyes followed his figure till he got disappear from my sight. I wanted to call his name, I wanted to stop him but it felt like my voice became blocked in my throat. I swallowed a lump as I found my legs trembling.

I felt something broke inside of me. The Shaiq from a while ago surely wasn't the Shaiq who used to be my best friend. His stare which always showed care, concern and love for me had turned into a stone-like hard one. His hand which always gave me warmth, strength, and affection became harsh, unfamiliar, and sharp. He had totally changed. The one who used to panic on my few drops of tears; today, didn't pay heed to the fact that the reason for my cry was he himself.

I licked my dried lips in haste. Today, for the first time, I deciphered that he wasn't pranking and teasing me by doing this. He had become a different person for real who didn't even care for what misery I was going through. I wiped my cheeks with my palms and headed out of the kitchen. I stopped for a moment when I found Shaiq occupying the dining table with his sister and niece. In fact, he was so busy feeding Parizay that he didn't even notice my presence.

"Bhabi, come on; have breakfast," Nofil invited me when she saw me. She was in her college uniform as she had already told me earlier that she needed to go there.

I nodded while passing a small smile to her. Shaiq finally looked up at me but drew his attention away the next moment, back to his niece. I dragged a chair beside Parizay and sat on it. Though I didn't have any mood to eat anything, still I decided to join them since I didn't want Nofil to get the slightest idea that something happened between me and Shaiq.

"Thank God, today is my last paper and then I will be freed from this hell at last. And Bhabi?" Nofil chirped in excitation as she glanced at me, "can you please accompany me for shopping tomorrow?"

I was about to grab the glass of juice before I stopped and looked at her with a raised brow, "tomorrow?"

Nofil nodded her head in reply.

"Sorry, tomorrow is not possible since I have a job interview in the morning but we can go the day after it. Okay?" I suggested to her with an assuring smile.

"Wow, do you have an interview tomorrow?" Nofil exclaimed with widened eyes.

I nodded my head but alongside my eyes went to Shaiq who just got up from where he was sitting and strolled away towards the outside. What happened to him all of a sudden?

"For which vacancy Bhabi?"

I came out of my thoughts when Nofil asked me again, "for the general manager vacancy."

"That's cool! Best of luck," she mumbled while giving a thumbs up.

I didn't say anything just smiled at her as my mind was still lingering on what happened between me and Shaiq. What would I do now? How would I make him understand? I turned my head to the front when Shaiq came back. He glanced at me for a moment with a cold stare before settling on the chair.

"Oh yeah Bhai, I just remembered I forgot to tell you I am in search of a job myself and I will be doing an internship right after my college," Nofil informed while her whole attention was on her brother.

Shaiq gritted his brows in confusion, "why do you need to find a job? There is no need for the job. As long as your brother is there, you don't have to worry about such things; just tell me what you want."

I blankly stare at Shaiq whose words and face were dripping immense love for his sister. I again felt my heart clenching; he used to care and get worried for me the same way he was doing for Nofil. But now he treated me like a stranger. He was as oblivious of my presence that I was invisible.