016

Ana and Regulus walked to the library, hoping to familiarize themselves with their History of Magic material for the upcoming exams

Ana and Regulus walked to the library, hoping to familiarize themselves with their History of Magic material for the upcoming exams. Eddie had somehow gotten detention, and wasn't able to join them.

She wore her robes over her grey skirt and sage green sweater, as the brisk winter air had failed to go away. Her hair was tied into a braid, with strands that had fallen throughout the day framing her face.

"I'm gonna find the textbooks. Get us a table, will you?" Regulus asked. Ana nodded and headed to the back of the library, where it was always quiet, and where the sun poured through the windows just the right amount.

Remus was sitting at a table in the back corner, the longest roll of parchment Ana had ever seen laid out before him. He twiddled his fingers on his quill as he thought. Sunlight poured over his hair, making it shine a deep golden brown. It fell onto his forehead in soft waves.

As he dipped his quill in his ink, he noticed the girl looking at him. "Hello, Anastasia," he said with a tired smile. His eyes were red. It was obvious that he hadn't slept in many hours.

She greeted him back and stepped closer. "I think you're writing on an entire tree." She could now see that a third of the parchment was filled in by messy but legible handwriting. She noticed that he had a habit of not dotting his i's.

He groaned. "Oh, I know. It's extra credit for Flitwick. I didn't do so hot on the last test and have to redeem my grade somehow."

"Charms is the worst," she said. "And I see you've brought your chocolate stash with you." She slid into the seat across from him.

There was a half eaten box of chocolates on the table next to him. A small pile of wrappers laid next to it.

He offered her one. "They were a present from James. there was more, but it's already been eaten," he said, unwrapping his.

"Present?" Ana chewed on the sweet. It had caramel on the inside. "Christmas was months ago."

"Oh, no, not Christmas. Yesterday was my birthday," Remus said with an awkward smile. He leaned back in his chair, which creaked with his weight.

Anastasia jumped in her seat. "Oh Merlin, happy birthday! I should've asked you when it was earlier."

He waved her off. "No, don't worry about it. I don't really make a big deal out of it, anyway."

"Why not?"

Remus looked at the ceiling in thought. "I just don't like the attention, I guess. And how everyone pretends to be friends with you for one day. It's a bit tiring."