027

Sirius skimmed the letter through several times, his face never changing from the one of initial shock that Regulus had sent a letter

Sirius skimmed the letter through several times, his face never changing from the one of initial shock that Regulus had sent a letter. James looked at him in concern, trying to read his expression.

"What does it say?"

"He wants me to help him and my sister leave. Apparently she got cursed really bad," he said in utter shock. Regulus was never one to ask for help, especially from him.

"Oh." James was taken aback. He was expecting it to be a 'never speak to me again' sort of letter. "That's a bit out of character."

"And my mother found a letter from Remus to Annie."

"What?!"

"Yeah. I'm guessing that's why she got cursed, but why would he send her a letter?" Sirius lightly pet the owl. It was one of his favorites at Grimmauld Place, one of the very few comforting things about that horrible house.

"They are friends, I'm pretty sure."

"I wonder how she got caught."

"It doesn't say?"

Sirius shook his head. "The rest of it is Regulus just rambling on about it." He let out a laugh. "This part is hilarious. He says 'She explicitly told him not to write, and he did anyway. Was he knocked out by a bludger?!'"

James watched his friend lightly stroke the owl's feathers while staring out the window. You could see a few stars, with Potter Manor being so far from any cities.

"So are you gonna help them?"

Sirius hesitated for a moment. "Yeah. That house was hell. And it's no doubt our mother's been taking her anger for me out on them."

"What the hell. I'm helping you, Pads." James stood and clapped Sirius on the shoulder.

"Thanks, mate."

"You're not gonna tell Remus about this, right?" James asked. He yawned; the two of them had played quidditch all day and were rather tired.

"Of course not. I'm sure Annie will tell him herself, but Remus will get stuck in his own head. Better to put it off- let him enjoy his summer."

___________________________________________

Several days later, Anastasia woke, her mother standing at the end of her bed. She barely stopped herself from shouting out in shock.