020

Remus blinked himself awake, unsuccessfully trying to ignore the searing pain in his left thigh

Remus blinked himself awake, unsuccessfully trying to ignore the searing pain in his left thigh. James was kneeling over him, saying something the boy didn't even try to listen to. His words seem to fog in his ears.

The shrieking shack was hot during spring and summer. Remus was sweating like a dog, even though the sun had barely risen. He gritted his teeth as James prodded and poked his leg. His glasses were grimy. remus wondered if he could see anything at all.

"Remus!" The bespectacled boy raised his voice, finally getting his friend's attention. "Can you feel your toes?"

Remus tried to wiggle his feet, but hissed in pain. "Yeah- a little too much." He threw a hand over his face, as he didn't want james seeing the tears that had welled up.

His friend sighed in relief. "Then I don't think it's broken." Remus heard him lean back onto his elbows. "Moony was angry last night. Peter had to run out and cast more protection spells."

He grunted in response. "Where is he anyway? And Sirius?"

"I slashed Peter with my antler right after he transformed back. Just a little shoulder cut, is all. Sirius went with him- you know how he gets with blood." There was a slight inflection in James' voice, like he wasn't telling the full truth."

"So it wasn't me that hurt him?"

"No. I guess I just forgot how big my antlers were." Remus wasn't satisfied with his answer, but left it for the time being.

"Help me sit up, will you?"

James pulled Remus up by the armpits and propped him against the wall. It was the first time he got a good look at the state of his leg. He grimaced as soon as he saw it.

His thigh was bloody, and a small cut could be seen by his knee. Aside from that, there was a dull pain on his shoulder blade. This moon- even though James claimed it was violent, wasn't too harsh on Remus himself.

He pushed his tangled and dirty hair out of his face. At least his leg distracted him from his nauseating headache.

Madam Pomfrey arrived about ten minutes later, a large bag of medical supplies floating behind her. She cast a few numbing spells on the leg and with James' help, managed to get Remus to the hospital wing. She didn't forget to mutter a cleaning spell on her way out, the blood vanishing into thin air.

Anastasia hated the days where she was scheduled to help Pomfrey in the mornings. Fortunately, they were only about once a month, and Remus always seemed to be there. He was always making some sarcastic remark, and her eyes, puffy from a lack of sleep, squinted with a smile.