Twenty

While Dean and Bobby investigate a disappearance of virgins and discover that dragons are behind the kidnappings, Zoey stays behind at Bobby's waiting to see if Death was able to restore Sam's soul without causing him to lose his mind. She sits on the steps leading to the panic room, unable to get herself to go back inside it, and watches Sam sleeping while hooked up to an IV. She flinches at the rush of air around her and blinks to find Castiel standing a foot in front of her, "You scared me. What-what are you doing here?"

"I spoke with Dean. He wanted me to check on Sam and see how his recovery is going." Cas answers, entering the panic room while examining Sam's unconscious form.

Zoey watches Cas roll up his sleeve before gripping it down into Sam's chest, grabbing ahold of his soul. She watches in awe as it's brightness fills the room once again. Cas removes his hand from Sam's soul and rolls down his sleeve. He walks over to Zoey, who stands, "So? Is he... gonna be okay?"

"His soul is in tact." Cas answers, sternly, "But I warned Dean about retrieving his soul."

"What does that mean?"

"Sam's soul felt like it had been skinned alive when I touched it."

Zoey frowns, of course a soul that was locked in a cage with Michael and Lucifer to poke at wasn't free of damage. She meets Cas's gaze, "Will he wake up?"

"I'm afraid, I can't answer that." When Zoey stares at him in confusion, he explains, "I'm not a human doctor."

"Well... thanks, I guess."

Cas watches her sit back down on the steps and resume keeping an eye on Sam in the panic room. He tilts his head at her, stating, "Something is troubling you, is it not?"

Zoey dismisses him almost immediately, "I'm fine, Cas."

"I disagree. I can sense that you're in an incredible amount of mental anguish."

"I know I am." Zoey whispers, "I'll be fine."

"Zoey-" Cas attempts to approach her.

"Cas." She warns him, "Don't. Please, just go."

"Well..." The angel hesitates, "If you insist."

In the blink of an eye, Zoey's left alone in the basement. She sits in her spot for hours, her mind blank, waiting for Sam to wake up. Bobby and Dean eventually return from their hunt to find Sam still sleeping.

~ SUPERNATURAL ~

"Castiel, um... I'm back. So, if you got a minute..."

"Sam. It's so good to see you alive."

"Yeah. You too."

"Um... Look, I-I would hug you, but-"

"-that would be awkward."

"Um...Was a crazy year, huh? I-I-I just talked to Bobby. He-he told me everything that happened."

"Frankly, I'm surprised that you survived. I was begging Dean not to do it."

"Yeah. No, I-I-I can understand that."

"You know, it's a miracle it didn't kill you."

"Yeah. Yeah, it's a miracle, all right."

"So, how does it feel?"