Twenty Three

Zoey, Sam, Bobby, and Dean are crowded in the living room trying to collect and gather themselves from whatever the hell just happened. Sam just woke up, "So, ooze invasion. Any leads?"

"I got all my feelers out. Whatever they're up to, it ain't-ain't about going Mothra down Main Street. They'll turn up. You seem pretty eager to stretch your legs, you know." Bobby puts a new bandage on Sam's hand.

"Now onto our other big problem." Dean gestures, "How're you doin'? And do not say okay."

"I'm not okay."

"You think?"

"Hey." Bobby comments, "Go a little easy."

"There's nothing easy about it, Bobby, okay. We acted like he had everything under control."

"I get it. I'm sorry. Look, I- I didn't exactly want to crack up, you know?"

"What the hell happened back there?"

"Well, it's not just flashbacks any more."

"Well then what?"

"It's more like... I'm seeing through the cracks."

"What does that mean?"

"It means I'm having a difficult time figuring out what's real."

"Hallucinations."

"For starters."

"Well for starters, if you're tripping Hell's Bells, why would you hide that?"

"I wasn't hiding it, Dean, I-I was just not talking about it. I mean it seemed like you two had enough going on as it was. Look, I-I just figured, try to hold onto the safety bar and ride it out, you know? But it's getting more specific."

"As in specifically what?" Dean gets glasses of whiskey for himself and Bobby, "What the hell, Sam?"

"I told you."

"I mean seriously, how do you, how do you argue with that?"

"I know. It's a problem."

"Well now wait, I got it. Why would the Devil holodeck you a whole new life when he could just kick your ass all over the cage?"

"‘Cause, as he puts it... You can't torture someone who has nothing left for you to take away."

"Very good, Sam." Hallucifer comments.

"Okay, fine. But this Malibu dream mansion that he, he, he makes for you to take away is this post-apocalyptic mess?"

"It had to be a mess, Sam, or you wouldn't believe it was your life." Hallucifer says.

"Wait. Are you seeing him right now?" Sam nods. "You know that he's not real. Right?"

"He says the same thing about you."

Zoey walks over to Sam and wraps her arms around him in a hug. Sam's surprised, but returns the hug anyway, asking, "Are you okay? Hope you're doing better than me."

"I'll be fine." She tells him, "I promise."

"She's lying." Hallucifer shakes his head, tsking. "I wouldn't believe a thing she says."

~ SUPERNATURAL ~

A ringing phone snaps Zoey out of her thoughts in the kitchen. She's trying to prepare dinner, but with everything going on out there... she's not doing a good job. The knife almost slips and chops off a finger as she tries to cut carrots. She takes a deep breath, listening to Sam answer the phone while Bobby digs through lore books.