Thirty Five

"The hell if you think I'm riding the pine on this one, guys."

"Something is wrong with you, Dean. And until we figure out what, this is where you have to stay."

"And you two are gonna do what? Take on Metatron yourselves? That's smart. Oh, no, wait. No, you-you lost your Angel army. And you- now you're trying to lock up the one guy who has a shot at killing the son of a bitch! Hell of a plan, fellas!"

Zoey walks down the hallway and finds Sam and Cas exiting the dungeon while Dean yells and pounds on the door, begging to be released. Sam notices the bags in her hands, shocked, "You're leaving?"

"Emma's not doing too good at Jody's." She looks at the dungeon door, "And... I need to make sure she's okay. All of this? Gadreel? The mark? It's... it's... heavy."

"You can't just leave, Zoey." Sam shakes his head, "He needs you. We need you here to-to help us figure out a way-"

"Sam, you're not going to change my mind. I'm not abandoning you. I'm just going to Jody's with Emma for a few days. It's not a big deal."

"It is. Look around you. Look what happened tonight."

"I noticed, Sam. I have been noticing it, but I can't help any of you when you don't tell me anything, or let me know where you're going! You two haven't been talking, you take off, leave as you please! Half the time, I don't even know if there's anyone else here besides Emma and I!"

"I'm telling you now." Sam glared, "Help us."

"No, Sam. I can't. I'm sorry."

"Fine. That's great. It's, uh, not like he's your boyfriend, or anything." He storms by her while Cas hesitates with a frown on his face.

Zoey laughs, shocked, while yelling after him, "And you know what, Sam? He's your brother! Don't get mad at me because you decided to give him the cold shoulder for- fuck, I don't know, weeks! Months!"

That hits a nerve with the younger Winchester who stops, turns around, and ignores Castiel's attempt at seperating the two. He steps around Cas's arm that acts as a barrier and stares her down.

"I'll find a way to save him myself, fix everything, with or without you. Take off, leave, because you clearly don't care!"

"I don't care?" Zoey repeats, whispering before raising her voice, "I don't care! What the hell do you think I've been trying to do for the last few weeks! Look out for both of you, walking on eggshells, making sure you don't kill each other! I saw how hurt you both were and was trying to help!"

"Well, thank you." Sam says, with a roll of his eyes, still glaring, "Bang up job you did with that."

"Maybe if I was the kind of person who drank away all my feelings or problems, or-or if I went and got into some kind of stupid barfight, or inserted myself into a dangerous hunt making reckless decisions and risking my life, you know- something classic Winchester, that-that'd help? Sorry, Sam, that's not me. In case you forgot, I'm not a Winchester." She grabs her bags and walks towards the ladder leading to the enterance, speaking as she climbs up the steps, "Glad to know you care so much about the wellbeing of your niece."

Sam hears the door slam shut and sighs while Cas listens to the engine of a car roar to life, "I think it's a wise decision for her, Sam."

"Not now, Cas."

Left all alone in the dungeon, and feeling worse the longer he sits there, Dean groans and forces himself to stand up. He's gonna find a way to get out of here.

~ SUPERNATURAL ~

"What's that smell?"