Interlude - A Meaningful Warning

Ruby and Tex wandered aimlessly through the fortress.

Ruby: So, what exactly should I be expecting from this guy?

Tex: Wyoming's one hell of a shot, was ranked third best back in Project Freelancer.

Ruby: What were you ranked?

Agent Texas smirked.

Tex: Number one. . . .

Ruby: Nice! What was I ranked?

Tex: Don't know, you never seemed to care. You were put on our best team though. Anyways, getting back to Wyoming, we need to be careful with him.

Ruby: How careful?

Tex: He's a lot smarter than he makes you believe. Try not to get stuck alone with him.

Ruby: *sighs* You said that for O'Malley too.

Tex: Well, I mean it this time too! Wyoming's a scumbag, he'd do anything to win and survive.

Ruby: Like what?

Tex: Like say the word that triggers your PTSD.

The magenta girl froze in her tracks. . . .

Ruby: . . .That makes me a liability, doesn't it?

Her friend turned to face her.

Tex: You are not a liability. We just need to stick together, like we used to.

Ruby: Huh?

Tex: Oh right. . . You and I, after you quite literally jumped out of a pelican and onto my jet pack, became partners because you got tired of having to stay on the ship.

Ruby: That does sound like me. . . .

Tex: Needless to say, you were helpful, very helpful.

Ruby: But that was me back then, that me probably didn't have a trigger word.

Tex: No, Hawaii did not. . . . But you've grown a lot since then.

Ruby: What? How?

Tex: Because now you're not fighting because your told to, you're fighting because you have to.

The magenta girl was struggling to understand. . . .

Tex: Freelancer forced us to fight, but with the Reds and Blues, you're fighting to protect them. I can definitely say that someone with something to fight for, is definitely stronger than someone without purpose. . . .

Ruby stood still, letting the words sink in. . . . Her eyes widened as she realized the Freelancer's words could be used on herself. Allison was not fighting with Ruby, she was fighting for her. . . .

Ruby: Well. . . I'll be sure to do my best!

Tex: That's the spirit. Now let's go catch that white asshole.

Ruby: You could've phrased that better.

Tex: Yeah, I really could've. . . How about-

Ruby: Just call him Wyoming. Or, Wyo-crap.

Tex: You didn't even try.

Ruby: At least it doesn't involve racial offenses!

Tex: Yeah, but yours just straight up sucks.

Ruby: You come up with something then!

Tex: Asshat.

Ruby: That's accurate, but it doesn't have anything to do with his name!

Tex: Yeah yeah, whatever.

The two continued to bicker as their search continued. . . .

(A/N- This one's a lot shorter than the other ones, but I didn't have much to work with.)