Chapter 6: The Scorch

(I posted my Thomas X Reader... so, go check it out...)

~Y/n P.O.V.~

I woke up to someone shouting. My head was resting on Teresa's shoulder as her head rested on mine. I watched as Thomas shouted a bird, scaring it away. Once it flew away, he stood up as Teresa woke up from beside me.

"Are they gone?" Newt asked.

My brother looked around before answering, "Yeah, I think we're safe for now. Okay, we should get moving."

We all nodded, getting up to our feet. Teresa helped me up before we grabbed our bags. I heard someone groan in pain, making me turn and see Winston still on the ground before Frypan helped him up. Finally, we started moving on our feet again.

~

As we were walking, we walked through an area where abandon and broken buildings. We were all glancing around the area. I walked at the front beside Teresa.

"What the hell happened to this place?" Frypan broke the silence.

"I don't know. It doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time." Newt stated.

"I hope the whole world's not like this." Aris commented.

As we walked a little more, Thomas spoke up from behind everyone, "Woah, woah. Hang on, stop." We all stopped and looked at him with furrowed brows. "Do you hear that?"

I looked around, a whirring sound then ringing through my ears.

"Get down!" Thomas shouted. "Everybody, hide! Hide! Hide! Get in here. In here! In here!"

Teresa and Minho gripped my hand as we all ran under some concrete, just as a berg and two helicopters flew over us. It was Wicked. They were looking for us.

"They're never gonna stop looking for us, are they?" Minho asked.

No one answered the ex runners question as I patted his back gently. Thomas walked out from under the concrete, us following.

Then we were back to our destination.

To the mountains.

~

We were all climbing up a rocky hill.

"Everyone good?" Thomas called from the top.

We didn't answer, just continued climbing up. Teresa was beside me, while some of the others climbed behind us. Teresa hasn't left my side since we reunited at Wicked. She's been acting kind of weird.

I'm gonna have to ask her about it later.

~

We were walking on flat land, before walking back on another hill. This one wasn't rocky like the other. It was steep, with sand everywhere. I mean, there was sand everywhere we went. It was like a dessert.

"A little further, guys." My brother called from the front again.

Finally, we made it to the top, the sand blowing in the wind. Thomas pointed in the distance at some faded mountains.

"Those mountains, that's gotta be it. That's where we're going." Thomas panted.

"That's a long way off." Newt commented.

"Then we better get moving." My brother said.

We all started walking again, but as we took a step, Winston started sliding down the hill as we all ran after him.

"Winston!"

Teresa turned him on his back slightly, gently cupping his cheeks. He was croaking and shaking. Minho was calling his name, but no answer back.

"He's hurt pretty bad." I said, looking at my friend in concern.

"What do we do?" Teresa questioned, looking at me.

I looked at Thomas, watching him stand up a little. He seemed to have an idea.

~

We used Thomas' idea. We all found some stuff to make a little bed of some sort, laying Winston on it. Minho and Frypan pulled the makeshift bed upwards as we all walked up a hill. Teresa, Aris, Newt, and I walked in front of them.

I walked in-between Newt and Teresa. My brother walked ahead of us, glancing over his shoulder every once in a while.

~

Soon, we found shelter. All of us sat in the nice, cool shade, except for Teresa, who stood out in the sun, looking at the distance. I stood up from beside Thomas and Minho, making my way over to her. If I was gonna ask her what was wrong, now would be the best time.

I stopped beside her when I made it to her. It was silent, before she spoke up.

"It's like they're getting further away." She commented.

"We just got to keep moving. We can make it." I assured.

"How's it looking?" Newt called from behind us.

I glanced at him, "It's a little further."

I looked back at Teresa as Newt turned back to the group. She was touching her neck again. Why does she keep doing that?

"Hey, what's going on with you?" I finally questioned.

She started moving her hair to the side, "They did something to me."

I walked behind her, staring at the back of her neck. A marking laid there. 

"At first it just felt like I was waking up from a dream or something. Then they all started coming back." She explained.

"Your memories?" I asked. She nodded. "What do you remember?"

"I remember the first time they brought you and Thomas in. I was taller than you then. And faster." She smiled at me as I chuckled, a small smile on my face, glancing at my feet. I glanced back at her, seeing a frown laid on her face now. "And I remember why we were there. We thought we could fix all this."

It stayed silent for a couple seconds, until she spoke up again.

"I think we should go back."

I looked at her with furrowed brows, "What?" Did she just say what I think she said. What I didn't want to hear.

"Just listen to me."

"What are you talking about? Go back? After everything they've done to us."

"No, it's not that simple."

"Yeah, I think it is that simple."

"No. You don't understand."

"What? What don't I understand?"

"Everything was fine until you..." She stopped mid-sentence.

"What?"

She sighed softly, breaking the eye contact between me and her, "Nothing."

"Teresa, what aren't you telling me?"

Before she or me could say another word, a gun shot rang through the air, making us jump. 

"Hey!"

"Guys, get down here!" Newt called.

We ran down, seeing everyone crowding Winston as Frypan held a gun in his hands.

"What happened?" I questioned.

"I don't know. He just woke up and grabbed the gun and then he tried to..." Frypan trailed off.

Winston was on all fours, his hand reaching out for the gun, "Give it back, please."

"Winston, are you okay?" Thomas asked.

The boy laid down on his back, shakingly lifting up his shirt, revealing his torso. "It's growing..." his skin looked rotten, black veins crawling up his body, "inside me."