Chapter 12: Betrayal

~Y/n P.O.V.~

I sat in a tent with the doctor, who I learned her name was Mary, Jorge, and Brenda, who laid on the bed, shaking. Mary had taken some of my blood.

"In the beginning, we were lost. All we knew for sure... was that the younger you were, the stronger your chances." Mary started.

"You worked for Wicked?" I questioned.

"Long time ago." Mary nodded. "You know, at first, we had the best intentions. Find a cure, save the world. It was clear you kids were the key, because you were immune. But why? Eventually, we found an answer. An enzyme produced by the brains of the immune. Once separated from the bloodstream... it can save as a powerful agent to slow the spread of the virus."

"So, you found a cure?" I sat up eagerly.

Mary glanced at me. "Not exactly. The enzyme can't be manufactured, only harvested from the immune. The young. Of course, that didn't stop Wicked. If they had their way... they'd sacrifice an entire generation. All for this." She held up a syringe, filled with my blood. "A gift of biology. Of evolution. But one not meant for all of us."

Mary walked to the other side of the bed, rolling up Brenda's sleeve before injecting her with the syringe. Brenda's took a big gasp, her breathing becoming even instantly.

"How long will that give her?" I asked.

"A few months maybe. But that's the catch, isn't it? She'll always need more." Mary stood up, touching Jorge's shoulder. "Okay. Let's go outside. Let them rest."

Jorge stood up, meeting my eyes. I could see he was hesitant.

"She'll be fine." Mary assured. Jorge walked outside the tent. Before she left, she spoke again. "Y/n. You know she can't come with us, right?"

I didn't say anything, just glanced down at my feet. Mary gave me a sympathetic smile before leaving the tent.

~

After a little while, I sat in a chair, putting my jacket on. I glanced at Brenda's sleeping figure before standing up, examining her. She looked a lot better. He face wasn't pale anymore. Her breathing was even. Her lips weren't purple. As I was about to leave, something next to Brenda's side.

Cautiously grabbing it, I examined the metal object in my hand before opening it, revealing a picture of a boy inside. Who's this?

"He was my brother." Brenda spoke up.

"Hey. Sorry." I sat down, handing it back to her. "Are you okay? How are you feeling?"

"You remind me of him." Brenda ignored my questions. "He always saw the best in people."

"Where is he now?" I ask.

"I don't know." Brenda answered sadly. "When we were kids... we were taken in by one of Wicked's camps. They gave us a bunch of tests. They didn't want me. They wanted him, though. They didn't even let me say good-bye."

"What was his name?" I question softly.

"George." Brenda whispered.

Thinking about it, I rolled up my sleeve, taking of Gally's cuff. Slowly, I handed it to her, watching her examine it.

"That was Gally." I point at it.

"How did he die?" Brenda whispered.

"I left him." I whispered, a tear rolling down my cheek.

I smiled sadly at her and she did it back. Slowly, I stood up, gently touching Brenda's arm.

"Get some rest." I whispered.