Chapter 7: The Storm

~Y/n P.O.V.~

We all glanced at each other once Winston lifted up his shirt, showing the infection growing. Our eyes were wide with furrowed brows.

"I'm not gonna make it." The weak boy said before holding out his hand towards the gun that laid in Frypan's grip. "Please. Please. Don't let me turn into one of those things."

I thought for a moment. I couldn't... I wouldn't let him turn. What if it was Gally? He'd want the same thing. What if Gally was watching me now from up there, wanting me to do it. I wouldn't let him or any of my friends turn into one of those creatures and live like that.

Slowly, I grabbed the gun from Frypan's hand, walking towards Winston.

"Wait, Y/n..." Thomas trailed off.

I looked into Winston's desperate eyes, crouching down, grabbing his hand, placing both that and the gun on his chest.

"Thank you." His weak voice spoke. "Now, get outta here."

I felt a tear fall onto my cheek as my bottom lip quivered slightly, "Goodbye Winston." And with that, I stood up, grabbing my stuff before walking away, avoiding eye contact with anyone. My hand brushed against Teresa's as I passed her.

Pretty soon, I heard everyone following me. I walked in the front of everyone, few more tears falling out of my eyes. I wiped them quickly. I had to be strong. Gally would want that. I need to keep everything in so I can be strong for everyone else.

We all stopped in our tracks, glancing over our shoulders as a gunshot was heard, only signaling one thing.

Winston was gone.

~

Aris walked back with some more wood for the big fire we all surrounded later at night. I sat between Teresa and Newt. None of us had said a lot. I mean, I hadn't said anything since I gave the gun to Winston.

"I thought we were supposed to be immune." Minho broke the silence as he played with a knife in his hands.

"Not all of us, I guess." Teresa commented.

"If Winston can get infected... we should assume so can the rest of us." Newt reminded.

"I never thought I'd say it..." Frypan spoke up. We all glanced at him as I saw a tear fall onto his cheek. "I miss the Glade."

Tears kept pooling in my eyes all day, but I didn't let any fall. If they did, I'd wipe them away quickly before anyone could see. In the corner of my eye, I saw Newt giving me a look, as if to tell me it was okay to cry, but I brushed it off, not meeting his brown eyes.

~

The next day, we were back on our feet again. I walked with Newt. We weren't doing to good. Our skin was burnt from the scorching sun. We were running out of water. Mine had already ran out.

I was really dehydrated. We all were. I saw Minho throw his now empty bottle to the ground, leaving it there. Many times, I felt my vision become blurry.

And now, it was coming back again.

I stopped in my tracks, resting my hand on Newt's shoulder, causing him to look at me.

"Y/n?" He spoke. "You alright, love?"

"I..." I tried speaking, but my breath caught in my throat as it came out kind of raspy.

I was too dehydrated.

"Y/n?" I heard a muffled voice say. It sounded like Teresa.

I didn't answer, as my vision became more blurry before darkness appeared.