chapter 9- you unironically like twilight?

"this is it, everyone," austin says. "the FINAL two contestants, valerie davis and amanda lilian. how are we feeling, girls?"

    "stoked," amanda says, short of breath. she was probably holding her breath before austin announced who was moving on.

    "agreed. this has been insane," i say, nodding and moving a piece of hair out of my face.

    "the first girl to go on the date will be amanda," austin announces. "valerie, sit tight, you'll go on the date as soon as this first one is over. amanda and tommy, you guys have three minutes." austin starts a timer and i can no longer hear anything.

    three minutes? that's it?

    what am i supposed to say in three minutes? that's only enough time to get an awkward hello out and a quick goodbye.

    before i know it, amanda and tommy's date is over.

    "you ready, valerie?" austin asks me.

    "ready as i'll ever be," i say with a grin. austin pulls tommy and me into a room together.

    "hello, valerie," tommy says the second the timer starts.

    "hi, tommy," i say with a smile.

    "we only have three minutes so we can't have any awkward silence."

    "honestly. why is it only three minutes?"

    "no idea. that's not nearly enough time to get to know someone."

    "exactly. it should be at least five." tommy nods.

    "are those books behind you?" tommy points, motioning for me to look. i turn around and see my small bookshelf full of books.

    "yeah! they're my favorites," i say. "you wanna see them?"

    "sure." tommy smiles and leans back as i quickly jump up and grab them all.

    "okay," i say. "so we have harry potter, the hunger games, the twilight saga-"

    "no way," tommy interrupts. "you don't own twilight."

    "it's my favorite series!" i exclaim. he buries his face in his hands.

    "unironically?" he asks.

    "unironically," i confirm.

    "you UNIRONICALLY like twilight?"

    "i unironically LOVE twilight."

    "valerie, if you had told me this earlier, i would've kicked you off LONG ago. i'm not dating someone who unironically enjoys twilight."

    "well, what do YOU like then, mr. innit?"

    "i don't read. i'm a minecraft streamer, why would i read?"

    "do you listen to music? do you watch movies?"

    "yes and yes. khai dreams is my favorite artist and i love marvel movies."

    "ooh, i love khai dreams," i say, moving the books away from view. tommy perks up.

    "no way," he says.

    "i do!"

    "what's your favorite song?"

    "either in love or fantasy, all i need is a close runner up. what about you?"

    "all i need is my favorite. i used it as my youtube outro for a long time."