bonus chapter- love or host

valerie's pov - ten years later

"head count!" i shout as the family lines up at the door.

"here!" willow and nicole say in sync.

"me too!" victoria says excitedly.

"and i've got the baby," tommy says with our one year old in his arms. there's also a backpack hanging off his shoulders, probably filled with toys and snacks so the three hour car drive isn't too painful.

"are we ready to go? has everyone gone to the bathroom?" i ask.

"i haven't," nicole says.

"me neither!" willow says with a giggle. i sigh.

"what did i tell you guys earlier? go now!" i usher nicole to the bathroom upstairs and willow to the downstairs bathroom.

when i turn back around, victoria starts darting up the stairs.

"and where do you think you're going?" tommy asks.

"i forgot my ipad!" she whines.

tommy and i sigh. a house of six is a lot to handle.

as we wait for the three older kids, tommy turns to me.

"you excited?" he asks.

"very excited! and even more excited for everyone to see the kids again. i just hope they behave."

"remember when the twins met wilbur for the first time? jesus christ..."

i groan. i would rather not remember the time willow and nicole completely ripped apart wilbur's house and spilled tomato sauce on a rug he bought the night before.

"i like to think that now that they're nine they've calmed down a little bit," i say, rubbing my temples. "why did you have to remind me of that? i was finally starting to forget about it." tommy laughs and apologizes.

the four kids all congregate back at the door when they're done taking care of business.

"here we go-" i start, but then willow lets out a yell.

"why are you yelling?" i ask.

"i didn't say bye to moonlight!" she cries out as she zooms around the house, looking for our husky.

"i didn't say bye either!" nicole shouts.

"me neither!" victoria cries. then cameron starts whining.

"oh lord," tommy says as he tries to rock cameron and calm him down. "please don't cry, please don't cry, please don't-"

he starts crying.

"fuck," tommy mutters quietly under his breath.

"i heard that. i told you no swearing in front of the kids," i scold him.

"sorry sorry!"

we search around the house for our three runaway daughters and dog. eventually we find the four of them in the laundry room, with the three girls all petting the poor dog and cooing at her. moonlight looks both extremely happy and extremely confused.

tommy kneels down next to the dog so cameron can reach out and caress her. he does, and moonlight gently licks his cheek.

"alright! we've said bye bye to moonlight!" i say.

"are we actually ready now?" tommy asks.

"yes!" the three kids say. cameron, the baby, doesn't give an answer. obviously.

"then let's go." we go back to the door, tommy opens the door, and the kids finally dart to the car. they climb into their car seats and booster seats. i buckle cameron into his car seat and slide into the front seat.