Chapter 2

"You care to explain last night?" Cristina said as Meredith came into the kitchen of the home.

"Long story," Meredith shook her head. She didn't have the headspace to explain to Cristina who he was.

"We got time, I'm driving," Cristina smiled lightly as she pushed the coffee cup into Meredith's hands and pushed her out the door.

"Why are you even going this early? Your shift doesn't start for another hour," Meredith groaned as she got into the passenger side of the car.

"Got to be the first one in, get the best case," Cristina smirked in a way that almost reminded her of Ellis, "Spill about McDreamy."

"McDreamy?" Meredith asked.

"Dr. Shepherd. He is known as McDreamy by everyone for the dreamy eyes. How do you even know him? He's like 10 years older than us, he was an intern when we were still in high school," she said.

"8. Only 8," Meredith gulped down her coffee as she wanted to jump out of the moving vehicle as she spoke.

"Who cares, he's like a Neuro-God and everyone drools all over him, it's almost sickening," Cristina chuckled lightly.

"I just don't want to talk about it," Meredith sighed as she looked out the car window.

"There was something there last night," Cristina kept picking at her, Meredith felt this gut wrenching pain when she said that.

"Ancient history. Now I have to spend every second avoiding him. I didn't even know he worked here," Meredith murmured.

"He started working here about a year ago, something about messy divorce and not sure what else. Who knows if it's even true, nurse gossip is always half the truth," Cristina started.

"Oh," Meredith said. She didn't want to add anything else to the conversation, she was sure he was living his happily ever after he always wanted. It brought her back to that day that just put the nail in the coffin for her.

Nervous was an understatement of feeling that Meredith had. She had just flew across the country to enter a hospital she had never even heard of, much less knew anything about. The outside was much larger than Seattle Grace, the sun shined bright on the snowy scene.

She second guessed herself as she walked into the building, she didn't even know if he would be here. She assumed since he was going back to New York, this would be the hospital he would work at. Mount Sinai was apparently one of the best hospitals on the east coast, he talked about it a couple of times and how he turned down the original offer to attend Seattle Grace. She remembered him speaking highly of the place.

"Hi, I was wondering if Dr. Shepherd was working today?" Meredith gulped as she approached the front desk.

"May I ask who is wondering?" She lady asked, her thick New York accent was a little harder to understand.

"He's my brother," she lied, she knew they wouldn't just give that information to anyone, "I've been trying to call him all day."

"I'm not suppose to give out that kind of information," the lady said.

"It's an emergency," Meredith said as she quickly changed her mannerism.

"He should be on the third floor," the lady replied and Meredith quickly rushed to the nearest elevator. Butterflies flew around her stomach, she wasn't even sure of how he would react to seeing her. She was risking everything just showing up like she was but she needed to see him again. It was like she was on drugs and he was her candy.