Chapter 18

Meredith looked into the window into the room, she couldn't believe it. She watched as Derek sat at her bedside, she had just been taken off her vent. Surgery went well, her body seemed to be accepting the transplant which was a miracle. She was there, she stood outside the OR waiting and watching from afar. They wouldn't let her in on the surgery but she wanted to make sure everything was perfect.

He looked up from his daughter, looking deeply into Meredith's eyes as they locked in a gaze. She saw the visible sigh of relief as he slowly stood up and waking toward her through the door. He smiled as he got to her, grabbing her hand and his eyes never broke contact with hers.

"She's alive, her vitals are stable. She's going to be ok," he said in disbelief to her, it was a complete miracle the transplant happened. if it wasn't for that poor little girl, they would still be waiting and watching as Grace held on by a thread.

"She is, I'm so happy for you and Addison," Meredith said with a smile, trying her best to be supportive. She hated feeling a hint of jealousy. She knew there was nothing that could have saved Olivia but seeing Grace live really stung. She was truly happy she was alive and everything was going so well, but the jealousy was still present.

"Thank you, thank you for being here. I know I was awful, I don't even know how you forgave me but I'm glad you did. Once she is out of this hospital, I am going to do everything to make it up to you," he said, placing his hands on her shoulders and rubbing them lightly.

"Derek, you don't have to do that," Meredith said, shaking her head.

"I need to," he said with an assured look. She knew he was genuinely sorry, and she could forgive him for that. He was distraught and thought his whole world was ending.

"Look, go in there and be there when she wakes up," Meredith looked up at him, he looked a lot better than he did 24 hours ago. He had relief in his eyes, things were beginning to look up for them.

"Do you want to stay?" He offered.

"I don't think I should, it's an intimate moment," she said, shaking her head.

"You are family Meredith, you deserve to be there," he assured her, she knew he just wanted her there for support but she didn't know if she could handle it. She felt herself pulling away from him.

"I know, I just have to go check on Bailey's post ops. I will be back soon," she smiled at him, he replied with a smile before leaning down and placing a kiss on her lips.

"How is Bailey?" He asked.

"She's doing good, baby is healthy. I'm glad everything went as smoothly," Meredith said with a small smile. Everything seemed to be getting back to normal finally.

"That's great to hear. I know she really wanted Addison there to deliver him but with everything happened so fast it was too much for Addison," he offered a smile. It was the first time seeing his smile and it was relieving to say the least.

"Ok, I'll see you later," she smiled up at him, he smiled back again. He leaned down and placed another soft kiss on her lips before turning and walking into her room. Meredith waited a second, watching as he went in and sat down next to her. She was surprised to see her eyes start to flutter open. Meredith couldn't help but to peak into the door.

"Hi Grace, how are you feeling?" Meredith asked as she stepped toward the girl. Her color slowly came back with every breath she took.

"My chest hurts, daddy did I get my new heart?" She asked groggily as she looked at her father.

"You did, and you did so good. I'm so proud of you," he smiled brightly, his eyes lit up at her like he was so enlightened by her presence.

"Can I start playing soccer again soon?" She asked.