Chapter 6

"Hey, Mer," Izzie said as she approached Meredith from behind.

"What's up?" Meredith asked as she looked through the chart in front of her.

"My boyfriend is coming in tonight to visit, mind if I have some friends over at the house?" Izzie asked.

"You have a boyfriend?" Meredith said with a raised brow. They hadn't really gotten to know each other, just talked in passing.

"Yeah, he's a hockey player. They are on break and he wanted to come and see my life here," she smiled.

"Yeah that's fine," Meredith nodded, she had just finished up a coronary artery bypass graft with Hunt, she was so tired. She had to stand completely still while she held the woman's heart in her hand.

"Great," Izzie smiled happily as she walked off. She finished filling in the notes and went to place it back in the folder.

"Hey, I heard you did a CABG with Owen, how was it?" Derek said cheerfully as he approached her.

"Yeah, now I need to round on some patients," Meredith said with a smile, her emotions were still completely fried from the case they had worked together on.

"Pregnant lady is doing great, she is being released today," Derek followed, trying to make conversation.

"Oh, the case you kicked me off of?" Meredith said with a raised brow.

"Come on, no hard feelings Mer. You need a wide variety of specialties so you know which one is the best," he tried to say.

"Yeah yeah," Meredith said, shaking her head. She was glad that the mother and baby were alright, the girl was a fighter. Meredith had visited a few times, case wasn't surgical so she was pulled from the case.

"So what are you doing later?" He asked with a smile.

"No, not doing that. Stop trying to get me to go out with you," Meredith said, shaking her head.

"I wasn't trying to, just want to catch up with an old friend," he scoffed.

"Not a chance," she smirked at him, she felt so different with him. The past few weeks have been like she was running a marathon at full pace, it was finally catching up to her body. She got into the elevator, her stomach growled from hunger. She was already way past the halfway mark of her shift, she needed to eat. She made her way to the cafeteria, grabbing a sandwich and some fruit. She noticed George at a table with Lexie and Izzie, she wasn't sure if she wanted to go over. She managed to avoid Lexie at all cost, she didn't want to see her or talk about her past with her.

"Hey guys," Meredith sighed as she sat down across from Lexie and next to George.

"You did great today," George smiled cheekily, he always seemed to flirt with her. She didn't mind and mostly just brushed it off.

"Thanks, yeah holding that heart was something," Meredith smiled.

"Is that what you're going to do? Cardio?" Lexie asked.

"Probably not," she shook her head. Meredith was just observing the conversation between them, watching as Alex started to come over.

"Hey Grey," he smiled.

"What?" Meredith and Lexie both said simultaneously.

"I forgot you both are Grey, hey are you two related or something?" He asked. Meredith froze, looking over at Lexie. She had the same exact look on her face.

"Uh- she's kind of my sister," Meredith stuttered in a low voice.

"Half sister, her dad is my dad," Lexie replied, just as she quickly put a bite in her mouth.